Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Please don't take offense, but....

I'll agree with the other responses here in saying that it is "nothing special" (regardless of it's provenance). I also think you should just ride it....

jeff

Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 AM

Thanks Memphis2857,

I may not have found Jim's post. Since it is a Gas Gas, wouldn't that make it something special? I know that dirtbike collector pieces are unlike cars and streetbikes, but I would consider it pretty cool to have the first production bike of a any line. But that is me, I am nostalgic about this stuff. It was once a top of the line machine with a solid badge.

If I were a collector or dealer, I would be interested in it. But to each his own.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Thanks Memphis2857,

I may not have found Jim's post. Since it is a Gas Gas, wouldn't that make it something special? I know that dirtbike collector pieces are unlike cars and streetbikes, but I would consider it pretty cool to have the first production bike of a any line. But that is me, I am nostalgic about this stuff. It was once a top of the line machine with a solid badge.

If I were a collector or dealer, I would be interested in it. But to each his own.

Thanks.

If it is special to you, that’s all that matters. Guess what I was saying is this, you don’t have something that has added value because of what it is. It’s pretty darn cool to have serial #1, the bike is in great shape, and like you said it’s a GG. Put it on display, hang it from the ceiling, or just ride it and enjoy the heck out of it. Just don’t try to sell it with some inflated price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2857 View Post
If it is special to you, that?s all that matters. Guess what I was saying is this, you don?t have something that has added value because of what it is. It?s pretty darn cool to have serial #1, the bike is in great shape, and like you said it?s a GG. Put it on display, hang it from the ceiling, or just ride it and enjoy the heck out of it. Just don?t try to sell it with some inflated price.
Well said...

Jeff
Old 05-02-2018, 11:17 PM

I have not thought about selling it. Trade it, perhaps? But, I think it would be a cool piece to display in the right venue. I am not sure that I would feel good about riding it and risking damage to it. Funny, to be worried about a dirt bike condition. If anyone has advice on a good venue for it, please let me know. Who knows, maybe I could trade it for a vintage Penton?

I appreciate the fair balance advise and information from this forum.

Legacy
Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 AM

One day I’m going to have what my friends call a “Unicorn Room”

It’ll be a room with oddball bikes that only I care about. ATK406. EBR1125 etc

This would fit into that

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 05-03-2018, 08:19 AM

Check your GasGas history before you get to crazy about feeling "oobligated or entrusted" to preserve this thing.
I'm not talking about the history of that particular model or its launch into the American market.
GasGas was a trials bike company that just couldn't help themselves and built some very very very cool Enduro machines.
Check the history of some of these early Gassers.
The majority of which were ISDE bikes and niche Euro Enduro stuff.

These early bikes would appeal to GasGas collectors and be more the type of bikes you may see on a shelf or hanging from the ceiling.

To be truly collectable a bike would need a pedigree or be the first one of a run of bikes that say won a world championship maybe.Or some famous rider showed up with the thing at a race worthy of some note and beat a bunch of other famous riders asses on something nobody heard of before or weren't supposed to win on.
These are just a few examples of what would make the bike "collectable".
Bottom line is that it doesn't meet any of the criteria for that.
Its not even in mint condition.

Its cool I like it.But its not a show piece or anything that great in the world of motorcycle collecting.
Its something you'd have to tell people about and educate them about and blah blah blah about.And then only then would you maybe convince somebody the thing is special.And they wouldn't know much about bikes.

Collectable bikes speak for themselves.
The guys that know bikes know them when they see them.
You don't have to make a case for them.

Enjoy the thing.That's the true value of that bike.
If you start whooping everybody you ride with asses on the thing then the whole 1st one ever imported thing you hit them with might poke the wound some.
You could have some fun with that.
Tripping over the thing the next 5 years looking for a home for that thing.
Not so much fun.

You could also wait another 15 years or so until they have a vintage class for that thing.Be kinda fun to rail that thing in that kinda "venue"

I'm not beating up the bike.Or devaluing what you think you have.
I'm merely suggesting you find a way to enjoy the thing.

If the guys on the GasGas site aren't getting to excited about it.Trust me.Its gonna be a hard sell getting somebody else excited about it.

I'm also the kind of guy who although a vintage Penton is cool as shit.
And is much more collectable.
Would rather ride the crap out of that Gasser then trip over a Penton sitting in my garage the rest of my life.Been there done that. Way overrated.
Or go to bike shows with the thing and blah blah with a bunch of has beens and listen to their bs story's all day.

Think-live like you were dying.
Hope this helps.

BTW does anybody have the link to that GasGas vintage enduro website?
Old 05-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasxc View Post
BTW does anybody have the link to that GasGas vintage enduro website?
Jim Snell over at rising sun imports used to have a gasgas museum web page(s) showing his collection of old trials bikes, etc. He is now importer for a different brand - so I don't see this any longer....

GasGas factory has a "museum" showing different bikes through their history. You can see an article that references it and has a picture of it on retrotrials.com

jeff
Old 05-03-2018, 11:12 PM

Sounds familiar.
Their was a site that had all the Gasser Enduro models through the late 80s and early 90s.
Some really Bitchin bikes.
Thats what got me looking at GasGas originally.
Every year the bikes were different colors and setups.
And all those crazy 80s early 90s colors and graphics.
Awesome.
ISDE bikes.