Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Talking Woohoo, Done University!

Hey Guys,
I just had to share my excitement. This morning I wrote my last university exam of my life. I'm finished! My degree is a BSc in Mechanical Engineering. Words can barely even describe the feeling of finally finishing something I've dedicated the last 4 years to. I'm very excited to finally be finished school, as now I can start taking racing more seriously, make some money and move on to the next stage of my life.

Right now I've accepted a job in Trail, BC doing mechanical design and finite element analysis for a consulting company. I'm pretty excited as it's the sort of work I want to do, but in the wrong industry. I'm hoping to eventually work my way into the motorcycle industry, but first I need to get some experience and get my professional engineer's stamp.

My goals besides work are to qualify for the 2007 and 2008 ISDE in Chile and Greece, respectively. I'm a first year expert, so I'm hoping to consistently get in the top 5 by mid summer.

Besides work and racing I've decided I'm going to take the next two years and just try to live my life. I have some student loans to pay off, but otherwise I don't have anything holding me down. I'm 21, so I figure I should broaden my horizons and see the world before I settle down into the family life. Oh yeah, I'll also try and get in 50+ days of snowboarding next season now that I'll be living back in the mountains.

Anyhoo, I just thought I'd share my happiness. Sorry if I make anyone unhappy with my happiness.

Steve

Old 04-24-2007, 04:11 PM

Congratulations...thats quite an accomplishment!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Kewl. Mazeltov!

Seems like you got lucky with your first job, for a consultancy no less.

IMO be wary of moving into the motorcycle industry, that's when a hobby becomes just another job. Having said that I'd love to have a small bike shop. Gives you the chance to talk about bikes all day.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 04-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Damn happy young single guys.

Just kidding, congrats.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Congratulations and good luck meeting your goal to make it to the six days.

I help to pack the container that goes there on occasion - but have never been able to go... I tried to qualify in '94 - I was *way* too slow! It is good to drive for the goal now so you don't have to take time away from a wife/child to achieve the dream.

jeff
Old 04-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Banned

Talking

If you would like to come to Kamloops and area I would be more than happy to put together a fast crew for a killer ride weekend. It has been my good fortune to have at one time or another, riddin with at least nine of our last years I.S.D.E. team riders not to mention a good number former others. And I'm allways up for a hardcore ride.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 AM

Very cool, way to go! Congrats...you deserve to pamper yourself for awhile!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
If you would like to come to Kamloops and area I would be more than happy to put together a fast crew for a killer ride weekend. It has been my good fortune to have at one time or another, riddin with at least nine of our last years I.S.D.E. team riders not to mention a good number former others. And I'm allways up for a hardcore ride.
I may have to take you up on that offer at some point when I have an off weekend from racing. By chance do you know Matt Collinge? He used to ride an RM125, now he's on an RMZ250.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I think I'd like working in the motorcycle industry, but on my terms. My goal is to eventually start my own company designing aftermarket parts for bikes.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 PM

Congrats. One of the best moments of my life was watching my alma mater disappear in the rear view mirror.
Have fun.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=SpeedyManiac;5484]I may have to take you up on that offer at some point when I have an off weekend from racing. By chance do you know Matt Collinge? He used to ride an RM125, now he's on an RMZ250.
No I dont know Matt, there are allot of guys who ride around here. While on the subject I could prob hook you up with one of my Pagan bros who now lives in Castelgar, he's a top master rider, and good enough to have taken home a district 37 cup this last winter, first try at a desert race no less. His name is Scott Kinakin. Email me I can hook you guys up