Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:54 PM

It seems like there is some confusion on the E-start.
IMHO, for racing it is properly not needed, but for a lot of lazy/unfit trail riders it might just be the ticket.
Though as mentioned above, there are times when a E button would be a godsend during a race, but again IMHO, this would be up to the individual racer (weight vs convenience).

However KTM has obviously seem a market segment that appears to be overlooked by its competitors and have reacted according, kudos to KTM for seeing the business opportunity.

Of the 2 KTM's I have ridden lately, one an 06 450 EXC 6 speed for 10 days in Morocco, which I actually really liked for that terrain (flattish, rocks, sand and pretty fast) and the second a 450SX 4 speed which was one of the worst bikes I have ever ridden on an enduro. My old IT465 was a better bike. The only thing that I felt was OK was the suspension. But of course it had more to do with using the wrong tool for the job.

Just my 2c worth

Kim

05 Pampera 250

Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 PM

Ok, I'm back on my medicine and have taken a chill pill...and the PAT's won

GMP you are absolutely correct I do need to try one out soon. We have a bit of snow up here but FURY1 has offered to let me try out his EC300 and he has acess to others as well. Others have also offered to let me try their bikes. Generous folks for sure. He only lives about 40 minutes from me and there is also a nice little accessory shop near by to spend some money.

I have FINALLY located a dealer in RI who is a little over an hour away and is really INTO the brand (only one he carries) and has an 07 EC250 on the floor I can check out. His shop is NOT on the GG USA dealer listings for some reason so I was actually given his name by a GG Trials bike dealer.

Was there a GG300 EC test in the October issue of Dirt Rider Magazine? I need to get a copy of that for sure if that's true. I thought someone mentioned that it was a very good review?

Another guy on this site Thelonious? has an nicely equipped 07 300 for sale for $4,700. Is that a good price? Coming from the KTM side of the world it sounds quite reasonable to me for an 07. He's in TN though so I'd need someone else to check it out for me. Tempting but I still need to try one first and it will most likely be gone by then I'm sure.

Oh and the E-Start...it adds just between 6 and 7 pounds on the 2 stroke KTM. You would never notice it, trust me. Even with the e-start the bikes are as light or even lighter than the GG 250/300 models. It's amazing how hot people get over this topic both here AND on KTM Talk. It will be interesting to see over the next few years if others adopt it as well and where it goes with the 2 stroke. Many people don't like unusual change and I can remember some things like the single shock, disk brakes, water cooling, upside down forks and even e-start on 4 strokes at first and now FI and maybe others that people balked at and are now the norm. It's just part of the evolution process at work really. End of rant.

Skidad in MA
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM

Suffering sticker-shock here in Phoenix.

After riding GG-Man and Boomer's '07 GGs as well as others, I can say that the MC flywheel is too light for a person of my meager clutch and throttle skills. Too much wheel spinny in the Houston sand. It both spun up and spun down too fast for my tastes. If I am forced toward the 2K2 I'll have little choice but to add weights for Arizona rocky trails and hill climbs.

As well, while the GG suspension is great, the LTR massaged GG suspension on an early '05 EC300 was phenomenal over rocks. They almost disappeared for me.

With my first year of mostly tight single track racing under my belt, I can say that my dream bike will have LTR suspension work and a Scotts under-bar dampener.

But I've added a twist to my wish list.

And EMF autoclutch... http://www.efmautoclutch.com/dirt.shtml

...with a left-hand rear brake and a mini aux clutch lever.

Most of the mistakes I make involve poor clutch and rear-brake work. This will alleviate them. At 48-years old, this makes sense for me. Especially since I see that Destry Abbott uses a Rekluse. My shame is gone.

I wonder how the addition of an auto clutch changes the choice of 250 vs 300 vs light flywheel vs heavy flywheel?

Edited to add: Did I mention the look my wife is going to give me when I begin writing out $9,000 worth of checks for a dirt bike?

Rick
Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
I can say that the MC flywheel is too light for a person of my meager clutch and throttle skills. Too much wheel spinny in the Houston sand. It both spun up and spun down too fast for my tastes.
For my riding style, wheel spin is good. That's how I bring the rear end around on turns.
The bike's a little tamer, now that I've retarded the ignition timing.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:54 AM

To add to the KTM vs GasGas debate, I can honestly say that my 03 EC250 is the best handling bike I have ridden in the tight S. Ohio woods. I like it enough, that I have chosen to put a new topend in it and redo all the linkage and swingarm bearings and ride another enduro season on it instead of rushing out and buying a new E-start KTM. I'll give the aftermarket time to develop parts and then consider what it my best buy. If GasGas can stay in the balpark on price, I'm going to have a hard time not seriously considering one again. They are made well, parts are easy enought to get, and they are not orange. (I never liked that color)
Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Joey11, I have the same bike as you,, and I like it too,, but you really owe it to yourself to try out one of the 07 GG.. I got the chance to take GMP's 07 for a quick spin and its a major improvement over the 03.
Steve
Old 01-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Default Stator-$129 2K-3

BTW, the 2K-3 stator is $129. (Assuming it will fit the GG)
A moot point for the riders that want it.
I personally have no use for a high output coil.
http://www.trailtech.net/S-8302-05.html
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM

Funny how technology circa 1890 can cost $129.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRickD View Post
Funny how technology circa 1890 can cost $129.
It wouldn't if we were paying 1890 wages
Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Funny how we veered off of the 2008 crank bearing discussion. My question concerning that is..... Are the bearings bathed in the transmisssion oil, or are they still in the same spot, only with seals, relying on internal lubrication?

On the stray conversation. I am also a 2-stroke e-start scoffer. My brother in law just got an '08 300 XC-W. I rode with him yesterday for the first time on it. Riding with him made a case for it. We're not unfit, we ride gnarly stuff, and we've got ISDE experience. That to say I witnessed it work out well for him. He stalled right in front of me, relit, and was off before I could knock him over (yes, on purpose, we are mean to each other ). Another was on a hill. There is a climb that can be particularly nasty, and our group of five was struggling. My superior GG 300 railed and got perfect traction, I was able to take the perfect line, and cruise right up that hill. My brother in law was able to make it, after getting caught on a little 1 foot root, and rock drop purely because of the e-start. He stalled it, and immediately refired before his bike rolled back over the big drop and continued on. The rest of the crew made several attempts on their inferior Japanese four strokes, (two of them e-start) and we rode their bikes up for them after they failed.

All that to say. Yeah, I don't need it, and wouldn't go after it as something I want on my bike, but I saw it work out really well yesterday.

How 'bout them crank bearings?
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs