Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 PM

Default Confidence in obtaining parts next 4-5 years

Newbie question

Close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 EC 300 with very low mileage. What is holding me back is the question if parts will be available long term. I am a older rider so this bike could be around for a number of years. Do the regulars feel confident in the longevity of getting parts etc. with the current status of the factory. Appreciate the members thoughts. Is anyone loading up on replacement parts now in the case part availability gets tight later?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdoc View Post
Newbie question

Close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 EC 300 with very low mileage. What is holding me back is the question if parts will be available long term. I am a older rider so this bike could be around for a number of years. Do the regulars feel confident in the longevity of getting parts etc. with the current status of the factory. Appreciate the members thoughts. Is anyone loading up on replacement parts now in the case part availability gets tight later?
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't auto/motorcyle manufacturers obligated to continue to manufacture parts for a specified number of years after shutting their doors? Anyway, I have faith in the brand and would buy a new gasser without hesitation.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't auto/motorcyle manufacturers obligated to continue to manufacture parts for a specified number of years after shutting their doors? Anyway, I have faith in the brand and would buy a new gasser without hesitation.
I'm going to correct you on this and say that you did buy a new Gasser!!
Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
I may be wrong but I think if a company goes out of business or bankrupt all that is off the table. That said many of the parts are made by outside suppliers such as Nissan, and Polisport so I wouldn't be too worried about getting replacement parts and if there is enough demand some company will step in to make what is needed.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:09 AM

It is a serious and legit concern. In the case of the Italian Husky when bought by KTM, they would have to supply parts for the previous model years, but if the company goes bankrupt all bets are off.

From what we have been reading, it seems the government, investors, and unions are all working together to resolve this issue, but it is a risky move. I bought my 2014 (1st Gas) right before all this happened. If it had happened before I made my decision, I would have gone a different route.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 AM

I just bought a 13 300, was looking at another gasser but backed off and decided to wait. I think my next bike will be a Beta unless they turn this mess around. It's too bad, we love the new bike.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgasser300 View Post
I'm going to correct you on this and say that you did buy a new Gasser!!
New to me, but indeed I did!
Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdoc View Post
Newbie question

On the plus side -

- There is a good stock of parts in the United States right now - with both hall's cycle and gasgas motos U.S. having a very good investment in parts.

- The design of the bike hasn't gone through any major design changes relative to other bikes - it has been refined over the years. So many parts are interchange-able from year to year...

- You will often find bikes parted out on e-bay as a parts source and given the above - something you need on your 2011 - you might find part that will work on anything from a 2001 to a 2014...

Looks like things will work themselves out in Spain - if the worst happens - which I don't expect - I envision that folks will be horse trading parts here to keep things going for the next 10 years or so...

jeff
Old 05-13-2015, 06:50 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for your replys

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I went ahead and committed to the 2011 - tough to turn down saving big bucks to get an orange one. This one is barely used despite being a 2011. I will probably try to stock up on some of the more common parts that wear out just in case. Looking forward to more time on the board.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Cdoc welcome aboard we have great bikes and I am sure that they will get it worked out in Spain Enjoy your new Spanish Girl Friend !