Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default KTM riders relying on our GG parts

I thought this was funny...

You always hear concerns about GasGas parts availability. Well, the KTM riders are buying GasGas dual map switches since they are in stock at our GG dealers and backordered at the KTM dealers. Also, it sounds like the GG switches are more compact, better looking, and less expensive.

Score:
GasGas =1
KTM = 0

Here is the thread on KTMTalk.
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=262492&st=0

Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Site Sponsor

I've sold at least ten of these to Orange riders! And more are asking for them!
'07 EC300 sold
'06 EC300 sold
'78 Suzuki RM250C2
'75 Yamaha YZ250B sold
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM

KTM has very big problems with back ordered stuff. This switch is just one of the many parts on BO.

The KTM switch is a large bulky looking thing for sure. The GG switch is nice and more compact and easier to find bar space for.

Skidad in MA
Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Are we this insecure?

I really don't get this continuous KTM bashing. Is that fact that KTM riders like a GasGas switch really "relying" on GG parts? I bought a KTM radiator cap for my EC300. Does that mean I am relying on KTM for GG parts?

Someone stated that the reason that they like this forum is that brand bashing doesn't go on, and that we state it like it is. Well, it seems to me that we're bashing KTM at every instance. To be honest, my daughter's 200 EXC is very well designed; it uses the same forks as my GG, and with a simple, do it yourself revalve of the PDS, she's VERY happy with the bike. The adjustable PV system on that 200 is very well designed and executed. It makes the GG wire look crude. The wire works, but if KTM owners wanted to bash us, they could.

Constant comparisons with and bashing of KTM makes the whole GG group look very insecure. I don't have any KTM Loyalty other than the 200exc is small, light, and fast, and works great for my 13 year old daughter. GG 200 is way too big for her, so she rides a KTM.

Sorry, i just had to vent.

blitz
Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM

I do not consider this bashing. Nothing incorrect was stated here. By comparison, there is MUCH disinformation about GGs and also Huskys on KTMTalk. I've owned KTM 200s and 300s as well, as have friends. Most of the time your OK, but if its not in Ohio your screwed. I've heard stories of EXC 200 cranks months out and my friend waited over a month for a 300 radiator. No BS, they just never talk about their own parts issues over there.

Do some research on the KTM200 PV, and you will find that it wears and needs replacement parts occasionally. There was a detailed tech thread on KTMTalk about this a few years ago. Also, the adjustment was never conceived for use by the rider to alter power delivery, it was to adjust the main flap height or "Y" as they call it after top end R&R. The GG PV may look crude by comparison, but its a simple rugged design, with steel parts.

I do like the fact that the KTM 200 is based on the 125, and it is light and compact. Great workmanship and many people are happy with it. My biggest complaints were suspension and a lot of vibration.

You'll never sell me on the suspension though, its just not true that its as good as the GG package. Maybe its the best if your getting paid to ride it and say so, and its adequate for many, but in reality its not as good.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

GMP, I think your assessment is fair. I've also learned a great deal from reading your posts, and I appreciate your insight.

I bought the KTM used from a (now AA) rider who raced it a lot. It's a very durable machine, and reliable as well. My daughter doesn't race it, and she's coming from a TTR-125, so maybe the suspension could be better. It's way more bike than i will ever be able to take full advantage of. Hopefully, she'll be fast enough one day to demand more. When she does, it'll be a GG. (She loved our factory visit this summer.)

BTW, the PV looked perfect after three hard years and one easy one. I've designed things for one purpose, and found out later it served another. Can't beat the leverage.

Maybe my problem is reading or perceiving a rash of complaints/criticisms of KTM. Maybe I need to self edit, and focus on GG and what can help the brand succeed and can make the bikes better, and stay away from the KTM-related posts.

Thanks.

blitz
Old 01-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Try to find that thread on KTM Talk. I remember that Clay, one of the gurus there gave very informative info including pics. Do they have an archive? Hey, all things change and its probably improved. I had no trouble with mine but sold it before its first top end.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz11 View Post
I really don't get this continuous KTM bashing. Is that fact that KTM riders like a GasGas switch really "relying" on GG parts?

I'm sorry if my post can across as "bashing". I never intended it to be taken that way. I wanted to highlight that KTM riders were looking to our dealers for parts support. This is a very positive thing! Also, the cosmetic appearance of our switch was better in their opinion. Again, a very positive thing!

Perhaps my score thing was misleading... but I just meant we scored a hit with a simple switch and the excellent availability by multiple GG dealers.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I got a problem, I'm a KTM Basher. I can admit it.
As long as the forests are littered with orange plastic I will continue being one. Its fun!
99% of my club ride them. Another 99% of my friends ride them. 50% of my competitors, or more race them. They bash me for riding a Gas Gas cause they can gang up in numbers. Then I get them back with funny pictures like one I snapped of my 2 buddies trying to transfer gas from one KTM to the one that ran out of fuel with a short piece of fuel line. They had to basically stack the two KTM's on top of each other. Right as they were getting ready to pull them apart I snapped the photo. I put a caption on it and gave it to them. It said "The real reason there are so many orange bikes out there, the owners cant even stop them from breeding"

Even if there were KTM bashing comments on here it would be all in fun, not to make some one feel inferior cause they own one. Sometimes you just need to have a little thicker skin and not let things get to ya so much. I love all motorcycles and only razz KTM owners cause its easy to.

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 PM

Like it has been said earlier, When everyone else rides KTM, The target is to big and asking for it .

"It's Nature that Brings out the Madness"
GasGas FSR450 07'
Closed Thread