Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Default 250 vs 450 thumper

With the new 250 out and about and some great reviews on the newer 450's I have been thinking about going out and getting one of these thumpers.

I have been on 2-smokes for about 5 seasons now and love my 250EC, but I think I am ready for a change.

I am just a trail rider and do 1 or 2 timekeeper enduros a year. I am a low B rider, 40 yrs. old and ride mostly woods in 2nd-3rd gear terrain.

Even though I am 210 lbs., I am leaning toward the 250 thumper because it would still be light enough to throw around in the woods.

Anyone make a similar change?

Advice?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM

450 is quite heavy and personally I would not want one except as a dual sport type bike.

I think the 250 with a 290 big bore kit (yes those are available for the Yamaha motor and also the Rekluse Pro clutch) would be a dam sweet little trail/enduro bike. So much nice stuff available for the Yammi motor.

Uncork the motor, BB kit, JD jet kit, Rekluse Pro clutch, some nice guards and that 250 (290) would be the nuts IMO.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidad View Post
450 is quite heavy and personally I would not want one except as a dual sport type bike.

I think the 250 with a 290 big bore kit (yes those are available for the Yamaha motor and also the Rekluse Pro clutch) would be a dam sweet little trail/enduro bike. So much nice stuff available for the Yammi motor.

Uncork the motor, BB kit, JD jet kit, Rekluse Pro clutch, some nice guards and that 250 (290) would be the nuts IMO.
i disagree with a 450 being heavy skidad, unless u drop em all the time thats a different story or try to bench press one i agree they are heavier than 250 but in saying that they are very well balanced and you dont feel the weight when riding. a 250 is marginally cheaper and by the time u spend $$$$$ on the motor it still wont be as quick IMO as the 450. cant beat fuel injection either, any speed any gear they pull like a freight train u dont have to rev the ring out of em like a 250, i had a 250 and getting on a 450 will never look back now.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 250f

I needed the "change" you refered to, back in 02 and bought a new Yamaha WR250F. Nice bike but as with any small displacement 4 stroke, you gotta scream them to make power. Needless to say, I went back to the 2 strokes in 03 and stayed until 08, then rode a 250 XC-F for a season. The KTM was allot lighter than the Yamaha of course, plus had the button... but for my 210 lb. butt, a 250F just isn't enough. I'm 47 years old now and need a few more CC's to make up for my lack of aggression. That's why I'm now the happy owner of a 2010 GG300

Dude, if your wanting a bike that you can "roll on" the throttle and go from A to B in a heart beat, OR... let hp carry you thru a section after you've gotten lazy then get the 450. However... if your a clutch stabber that likes to hear RPM's, then go with the 250.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:46 PM

I have mostly raced 250 and 300 2 strokes but fell into the 4 stroke hype and bought a 450. HATED it. Everyone in our Series AA class has tried the 450 and returned to 2stroke. However I just got a EC250F and LOVE it. I do weigh 175, never wish I had more motor. It is torque monster and I love the feel and handling. The 450 most definatly will not turn as fast as you want it. Enduro and tight woods 450 is toooo much. Motocross and GNCC fast trail the 450 is a must
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Ive been through these same thoughts as you and my size is very similar to yours but I do a whole lot more racing. All in various types of terrain, Desert to woods.

I own a Yamaha WR 250f (Wifes bike) its uncorked JD jet kit etc. etc. So I know this motor well. It is good! Stone cold reliable. The valves don't tighten up like many small bores. I do ride it sometimes for a whole day when my bike has been set up and ready for a race the next day.

But I'm here to tell you that IMHO after riding a 2 stroke 250 for many years you will probably be searching for more juice, even with a 290 kit. Get in deep sand or get up in altitude or start climbing steep grades its gonna zap the poop right out of that little motor. I know your an Oregon resident so I would say the 450 is gonna feel large and heavy even if your not dropping it in the slower more technical terrain that we experience up here in the North West, Ive rode them.The power and the fuel injection of the 450 is phenomenal but the bike feels like a mass under you. I would also venture to say the little Yamie 4 banger is not gonna feel lighter than what you already have. My wifes Yamaha certainly don't and I kind of doubt the Gas Gas chassis is lighter than the aluminum framed Yamaha.

So what would you gain by getting the four stroke. More noise, more maintenance, more possible catastrophic failure if it did go south, and then more money dumped into it to fix it.

Oh I forgot, you won't have to mix fuel anymore. Not really such a benefit is it. Some would claim more tractability but a well set up Gas Gas 300 is about as close as you get to 4 stroke traction.

If it were me I would trade the 250 in for a 300.
It's so much easier to be lazy on a get away with it than the 250 2 Stroke. Next season the 300's should have electric start for us tired older fellows. The 300 is really the closest thing to a 4 stoke without taking that plunge. Its still light and flickable enough when needed, very tractable and I need more power will never enter your mind.

Good luck on your decision. Only you can decide whats right for you. Just try to ride as many bikes that you are thinking your interested in before you buy and get some feed back from the owners about that particular machine.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM

Good info REVERUP. Really need to consider WHERE and HOW you want a bike to work.

I like lots of different bike and brands so I'm not totally loyal to anything specific other than what might work best for me in my conditions. I do seem to be pretty loyal to Euro bikes though.

That being said here is another possibility from another brand that might fit the bill. New Husky TE310 for 2011 with the all new spiffy (and small) motor with FI. This thing sure looks sweet but like most recent Husky's is probably pretty tall. Not a problem for me but could be for some.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11757

Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Nice Husky, and I'll bet a lot less than the GG. I assume the TE will be fully legal as well. They are tall, I'd like to try one that has been lowered an inch.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Nice Husky, and I'll bet a lot less than the GG. I assume the TE will be fully legal as well. They are tall, I'd like to try one that has been lowered an inch.
Same here but 2-3" lower. Short but not fat
Old 06-25-2010, 12:27 PM

My bro is a Husky guy, I've ridden his WR250 and TE450 a lot. The TEs are VERY stable and excellent rock bikes. It was perfect for runs like Hancock and NETRA turkey runs. When things get tight though they feel really big and wear you down. He sold the 450 after realizing he can ride the WR a lot better. The height is only an issue in the real nasty stuff, where the GG thrives. I'd like to see some weight #s on these new Fs.