Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 PM

Unless you drop the bike in your pool while showing off in the yard after a few beers, there will always be dirt in the water carried in. Even then, it will wash dirt through the filter. You do what you gotta do, but if there is a choice don't restart. If you go in under heavy throttle, there is a good chance you will bend the rod too as the engine hydro locks.

Back on topic, thats a serious amount of tools. Whats in the plastic bag?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post

Back on topic, thats a serious amount of tools. Whats in the plastic bag?
Blow for getting you through the last lap ...
and then the four hour ride home!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

With a bag that size you'd just be dabbling all day long. Bugger the last lap! Haha!

I guess it depends where you ride regarding restarting or recovery. Most of where I ride not getting the bike started again would require several hours of pushing and pulling through single track before even getting the bike back to somewhere a 4wd can access. Then probably another 3 hours turn around on getting the vehicle and getting the bike out.

I've been known to pussy out and walk the bike through some crossings to lower the risk of drowning. I've also managed to drown my bike in about 30cms worth of crystal clear water after a ninja log took me down. Drained her out, fired her up and rode her home. Maybe if I carried extra fuel I could flush it on the trail. I already carry enough tools to do it!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM

Jake,

Your bike has the sealed bearings, so its not as bad. The rod bearing is usually not the problem, more so the mains. Still, I'd undo the fuel line and flush the lower end with some gas through the carb before restarting. The filter will have to be removed and dried anyway.

We have a couple places where its possible to drown out in a fall but not a problem if you know the line across. I'm not lucky enough here to have such riding opportunuities where vast distances and unknown trail are issues, but if I did, I would let someone else go first in a water crossing. When it happens in an enduro, you are almost always within a reasonable distance of road access, at least here.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Its the ninja logs you have to watch out for! The dept is sometimes questionable but its what lurks beneath that usually brings someone undone. Its hard enough riding over a log on a 45 degree on a muddy trail let alone a mouldy one hiding under water.

The one that brought me down I actually saw and was just too stupid to evade it. I thought sure I'll just loft the front over and she'll be right. Cracked the throttle and the front didn't lift. Nice slow mow rail slide into a nice cold bath.