Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasfk View Post
37 states at least maybe a couple more cannot remember. WALES,ITALY 2 TIMES, HOLLAND,SPAIN,POLAND,FRANCE,W.GERMANY (NOW GERMANY),AUSTALIA AND LESHOTO (roof of africa).
What year did you race the Roof?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Site Sponsor

Back in the 90s (94-98 actually) when interest in the US ISDE Qualifier Series was at its peak, I used to cover the series for Cycle News, Dirt Rider and Dirt Bike magazines as a freelance journalist. (During that time I personally attended every qualifier.)

I used the assignment to get in some pretty awesome trail riding where I would try and bring either a dual sport bike, my current race bike or borrow a bike from someone to shoot photos off of at each event.

The key was hooking up with a hosting club rider a couple days before each two-day event where they would show me around the course. Once I was dialed in I?d scout out good shooting venues and figure out how to just keep up with the pack of the top riders during race day.

The best part was getting access to some pretty cool riding areas; the Trask Mountain area in Oregon was unbelievable as where the trials around Idaho City, Idaho, and Olympia, Washington.

In 1994, the year of the US Six Days in Oklahoma, I believe I rode in Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, New York and Ohio over a period of about three months. That year alone I was physically in every state west of the Mississippi and over half of them east of the river.

Another bonus was getting a chance to ride some pretty cool bikes where guys like Guy Cooper, Randy Hawkins, Jeff Fredette and Dick Burleson would often borrow me a bike to ride when I flew to some of the events instead of drive.

I guess maybe at least as note worthy, to me at least, is while being a freelance jorunalist I've also had a chance to see some pretty cool riding areas world wide while I've attendend 16 ISDE's since 1993.

Some of the most noteable ISDE venues have been the Slovak Republic, Finland (2011), New Zealand, Italy, Chili and Greece.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM

Smile

The cool thing is you get to do it with your son Clay! My son never took to riding or racing.He is a great kid very atheletic and good grades so I am happy but I know traveling,racing, being in the car etc. No matter who it's with you get to know the person.Your very lucky!I was never that close with my dad but I remember little things like driving to the Backus,MN national enduro in 1975,had no license but dad would let me drive! Some of my fondest memories of my being with him!
I believe I rode the roof in1990 on a Honda CR250 for Hylton Beattie.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasfk View Post
The cool thing is you get to do it with your son Clay! My son never took to riding or racing.He is a great kid very atheletic and good grades so I am happy but I know traveling,racing, being in the car etc. No matter who it's with you get to know the person.Your very lucky!I was never that close with my dad but I remember little things like driving to the Backus,MN national enduro in 1975,had no license but dad would let me drive! Some of my fondest memories of my being with him!
I believe I rode the roof in1990 on a Honda CR250 for Hylton Beattie.
I consider myself a very lucky father. Earlier today Z and I were planning our Wyoming National enduro trip which is in June. A friend of ours has a cabin in the Black Hills and we will stay with him for a few days. I always look forward to that trip with him.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:46 PM

Been in 47 states, ridden in 21, raced in 12. I need to hit some hit some events in the northeast. I will likely retire west so I have a plan for the northwest.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by celler View Post
Been in 47 states, ridden in 21, raced in 12. I need to hit some hit some events in the northeast. I will likely retire west so I have a plan for the northwest.
There are some good races in New England but you gotta like rocks! In enduros they use the Brand X rules rather than AMA rules and it's kinda weird. I like riding up there. I'm gonna try to go back up there this summer and maybe hit a couple of other states.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM

NETRA is very rocky. ECEA is a mix of PA rock runs and NJ tight pine/sand runs much like the southeast. There are no more northern NJ (very rocky) enduros. The Rattlesnake National in Crossfork, PA is excellent, not too rocky, just really good trail. ECEA uses AMA rules, and more and more events are being run closed course, to get around the hassle of needing a license and a plate. Sometimes its just a matter of a different type of permit for the state land use that day.