Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 AM

When I bought my 2005, a KTM die-hard's first questions were, "What offset did you use?" and "How do you adjust the power valve?" His were rhetorical questions. He presented them to say that his KTM was adjustable and the inferior Gas Gas was not.

I responded, "The need to swap offset positions isn't even on our radar screen." Continuing, " As far as adjusting the power valve, it's already adjusted. Why would I want it *less* linear for the crap we ride?"

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM

I rode a KTM250 this past weekend. It felt like a truck compared to my GG.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Jakobi,
You make another good point about recognizing issues and fixing them. That seems to be the nature of off road guys. We just fix stuff and enjoy doing it.

I don't think the factory knows much about the stuff we ride here. I doubt they would ever consider chopping their handlebars off for tight woods. Both times I have pulled my shrouds out of the grommets was when I was going through the woods to pass stuck or fallen riders. Their stuff seems to be open enough so that they can go around a rider without busting through the bushes. I have extended an invitation for the sales guy and R&D guys to visit us here in the US to see what we do but they have not accepted yet.

Clay
Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 PM

Oh gas cap leaks.... (but looks like this has been an issue for years). I have found if you tighten it down like a gorilla it seems to solve the problem. There is no rubber washer like I would have expected.

I guess I better do a post with all the things I love about this bike but it will take much longer than the things that need to be fixed or modded right away from the factory.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 PM

I'll add I was shocked reading these forums when I saw Clay posting, and not icognito, that was "one" of the reasons I did buy a gasgas, a small one, as the machine is top tier in every regard, any "tweaks" I have done or consider are just a pittance compared to other makes requirements and are all to tailor to my personality.

I do understand the importers statement however, it is why i posted such a wordy response in my question of the kn filter fitment. It is far to easy to find a negative comment on the WWW than a positive, and someone considering a purchase of near anything now is going to do some WWW searching, much like a ebay feedback report, if you see 20 out of 40 negative reviews over the last 6 months, you'll look elsewhere. That can/does apply in most purchase considerations. Doesn't mean we shouldn't voice concerns, the ultimate purpose of these forums is really nothing more than a resource for owners to utilize, this initial review by the OP will likely lead to most '12 owners drilling out their shrouds and installing bails or cotter pins to prevent this before they are damaged. However, with the importer reviewing, it may also lead to a design change for '13s resolving this concern.

Clay, to you, thanks, and if you do talk some RD over to the states I will be more than happy to run them through some east coase single track! They will be quite surprised, I am certain to head to a large riding facility where, if presented right, would likely attract a large group of new and aged GASGAS that I am certain they would learn a ton off if they did nothing but review the bikes in the parking lot seeing what has been done to keep them running.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM

I have several ideas for a shroud mount fix. Since I do not have my bike yet, could someone measure the length through the center of the shroud mount standoff thats molded in the shroud. From the inner surface of the shroud to flat edge that would contact the radiator grommet, not including the tit that pops through the grommet. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazikeen View Post
I'll add I was shocked reading these forums when I saw Clay posting, and not icognito, that was "one" of the reasons I did buy a gasgas, a small one, as the machine is top tier in every regard, any "tweaks" I have done or consider are just a pittance compared to other makes requirements and are all to tailor to my personality.

I do understand the importers statement however, it is why i posted such a wordy response in my question of the kn filter fitment. It is far to easy to find a negative comment on the WWW than a positive, and someone considering a purchase of near anything now is going to do some WWW searching, much like a ebay feedback report, if you see 20 out of 40 negative reviews over the last 6 months, you'll look elsewhere. That can/does apply in most purchase considerations. Doesn't mean we shouldn't voice concerns, the ultimate purpose of these forums is really nothing more than a resource for owners to utilize, this initial review by the OP will likely lead to most '12 owners drilling out their shrouds and installing bails or cotter pins to prevent this before they are damaged. However, with the importer reviewing, it may also lead to a design change for '13s resolving this concern.

Clay, to you, thanks, and if you do talk some RD over to the states I will be more than happy to run them through some east coase single track! They will be quite surprised, I am certain to head to a large riding facility where, if presented right, would likely attract a large group of new and aged GASGAS that I am certain they would learn a ton off if they did nothing but review the bikes in the parking lot seeing what has been done to keep them running.
Thank you for the kind words. I have to admit that the fact that we have literally bet the family farm on this venture makes me a little sensitive!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Thank you for the kind words. I have to admit that the fact that we have literally bet the family farm on this venture makes me a little sensitive!
As long as you keep up the good work you will succeed Clay. 2012 would have been the year, but has been hindered by things beyond your control. The way you have have continued to represent yourself and the information, and to act in a professional manner says worlds about your business and personal ethics. It must be hard as an importer to sell bikes, when its been hard to import bikes to sell. (Not being negative here).

The public interest has grown substantially, particularly here in Australia, where other forums I sometimes visit continue to put the Gas Gas into the 'which bike' threads. They're definately starting to be considered as a real option when buying a new bike.

Now back to the positive/negative balance. Mazikeen has a point that if there is an overwhelming amount of negative comments that it can sway a purchase based on google research, but my argument is that if they stumble onto a thread after searching for faults and actually have a read, then its the content thats more important. I know if I read this I'd be feeling more inclined to own one. Taking it to another level, I really feel that the people want to know the weaknesses. We used to bike back mags to read up and hear genuine issues and opinions on what worked, and what didn't. Not sure if its the same in the States, but here in Aus the rag mags are all about advertising, and keeping the advertisers happy. They say every bike is the best. Blah Blah Blah. I don't buy mags anymore for this reason.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM

I've build 9 fully loaded race bikes in the past 3 years and the 2012 GG is hands down one of the best so far.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 PM

Why do you think that is?