Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Default lights flickering and going off when revved

hi all, new to the forum just bought a 98 gasgas ec250 and is exellent and extremeley powerfull! im wanting to mot this week but on tickover the head light and rear light flickers then when you rev it up they go off, is there a battery on these or does it all run off engine? any help or suggestions would be exellent as i want to get her mot'd and have some fun!
thanks in advance

Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

There's voltage regulator mounted under the tank towards the steering stem.
More than likely, it is bad.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:08 AM

thanks for that mate, will this cause it to flicker and go off? and are they expensive? also do these have a battery and could it also be that causing the problem? thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM

No battery. Its a simple AC regulator, or clipper, that just shunts current to ground when the voltage exceeds a certain level. Its function is to protect the lighting from over voltage. Quite crude, not like a DC charging system. You can get a newer GG OEM part or a generic Moose part will work fine. Go through all of the wiring, clean and check connections. Bound to be other potential problems on a ten year old bike.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 AM

No battery. The voltage regulator on these bikes is a POS. You need to buy an aftermarket regulator.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

I put this Moose regulator on my 2001.
I installed it in the frame cavity at the front of the fuel tank. I used silicone rubber to hold it in place.

Be sure you solder the wires and heat shrink the connections.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:52 AM

As you're talking MOT I guess you're a Brit. You may want to try Electrex for a new regulator - might be easier than getting the Moose part in the UK http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/erol.html

Also check with BikeTech a GasGas dealer in the UK.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM

had the tank out today and cant see the part you are speaking off? can see the ignition coil then further back towards the seat a black box hold in place by a rubber strap maybe ecu?

could you tell me what wires this regulator should have coming out and will it also stop inicators from working?
thanks
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM

You know the bolt that helps keeps your tank on above the petrol cap. take your tank of and look below that you should see a little triangular hole in your frame inside that there is a little black box with i think a yellow and black wires coming from it cant remember thats your Voltage Reg . . btw mate where are you in UK im in telford you anywhere close. My lights have also got very dim recently and the horn doesnt work but this is since i got my started coil in my stator rewinded. think i need to change voltage regulator anyone?

Boyesen Pro Series Reeds, Messico & Modified FMF TC II, Black Powdercoated Wheels & Hubs, Red Renthal Fatbars, Polisport Handguards, 4 POT Brembo Front Brake W/ Floating Rotor

Want:
Doma,Messico Or 06 GG Front Pipe, RB Carb & Head Mod, DE250, XC250 Or EC200 CDI
(If you have any of these parts PM me!)
Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM

going to have a good look tommorow pal, and im in leeds so not sure how far i am from you, tried connectors some new indicators to me cut wires at the back but i get nothing? any ideas on this? last owner seems to have just cut them on the very end where the indicators are so dont thins the wires been chopped half way down or anything,

thanks for any help