Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default chris birch enduro skills day

Last weekend had the privilege of attending one of chris's 'enduro skills days'
With a group of 12-15 riders he covered bike setup,body position,techniques for braking,cornering,clutch/throttle control,popping slow wheelie etc thru the morning.The afternoon was spent out in the foothills of mt torlesse station applying those skills to steep descents and hillclimbs,including one climb where he offered our money back if we made it to the top.He then demonstrated it perfectly....our turn....no one got a refund!Next was my personal bugbear-logs!
After demonstrating the techniques for both small(300) and larger(600mm) we stepped up...needless to say there were some priceless moments in this session!several superman impressions etc.
Absolutely brilliant day allround,learnt i had a few bad habits,plus some new techniques,and cant speak highly enough of how decent a bloke chris is,no matter your riding ability you will come away a better rider.
Looks like his sessions in canada are booked but hes in oz october(berriman)
Sorry i cant post a couple clips,but my data cap wont allow(damn kids and ipods)

Last edited by barossi73; 08-30-2015 at 07:45 AM.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:51 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

I did one of his training days a few years ago and it was worth it and he definitely does have skills
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

I put out an EOI to our local group a while back considering flying him over for a couple days skills and drills training. Got a bit of interest, but have been time short to take it any further at this stage.

Still not 100% sure it's worth the coin. The information is available on technique, however its a major win to see it implmented, but also entirely up to us as individuals to then put it into practice. I can see a benefit in having someone critique and provide real time feedback, but then again imagine that at the end of 2 days I'd just be getting into really correcting things and showing some progress. Could be wrong?

What I do see is that his skill level definitely caters for all levels.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:59 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Jake you are probably right it is easy to get hold of watsy's dvd (although he is Australian so it will probably not be as good) and a camera and a few buddies and you may come out with a better result - provided your buddies all agree that the way things are done on the eve are the right way to do them

The only thing you will miss out on is being able to ask questions

The thing I did realize is that the pro's spend a lot of time doing drills - practicing skills from full-lock circles and figure eights to log hopping and practice them until there is no longer an element of luck involved in the maneuver - and this is probably where most of us fall short we too busy wanting to hit the trails than spend an afternoon practicing endo's
Old 11-23-2015, 03:24 AM

What sort of cost is it for a Chris Birch clinic/day etc..?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Browncoat View Post
What sort of cost is it for a Chris Birch clinic/day etc..?
http://www.chrisbirch.co.nz/coaching/

Nz$195 money well spent
Old 11-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Awesome, thanks.