Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 07-03-2015, 07:37 PM

Default Sherco or Beta?

At this point it is apparent that GG will not be producing 2016 models - and if they somehow managed it, I wouldn't buy one. Let's hope they get sorted and return as a viable manufacturer in a couple of years.

I am buying a 2016 ride. 2 brands on the radar - Sherco and Beta - Bike will be a 300 2-t. Info for both MY16 bikes is out. Beta has gone to oil injection (like the X-Trainer). Not sure about going to new-school oil injection ... more stuff to break, I know how to mix gas, and I share fuel cans with my race buddy at the enduros we ride (we both ride 2-t, and he's not buying a Beta for next year).

I've seen both in person, but not ridden either. I've trolled the forums on the bikes. Useful, but certainly ... big grains of salt with that ...

My local dealer sells GG, Sherco and Beta - whatever it means to sell GG as of today - so that's not an issue. I ride mostly tight single-track in decent soil.

So ... thoughts and opinions. Anybody ridden both back to back? Got a friend who owns one? Ridden one extensively?

Thanks,

Jason

Old 07-03-2015, 09:42 PM

I'm on my second Sherco SE-R 300. Very stable, yet very nimble bike. No need for a damper. Also very light. Climbs hills like a hero. I had a bit of trouble with my 14 getting a bit hot on some of the slow nasty climbs, especially if you get stuck and have to spin it a bit.( the bike is very light compared to the gasgas and does not have that heat sink in the motor as such) That seems to be cured on my 15. The mapping seems better on the 15 as well. Works much better in the soft map on the 15 over the 14. I call it the 200 button. Works great when the trail gets messy or you get tired. Suspension has really good build quality and is easy to service with a big aftermarket for suspension parts and tools. The linkage is stupid simple to service with 1/2 the bearings to clean and grease compared to my GasGas. Very easy bike to work on with not too many different fasteners. Mostly 8 and 10 mm heads. The electric start is flawless. The 15 even starts well in second gear for race starts. I could really care less if I ever owned a bike with a kick start again, it works that good. And works even better with a lithium ion battery. Tool less air filter access. Good solid dependable bike, just like a GasGas. But way more refined.

My buddy has a Beta 300 2t. I have ridden it a few times. It has a strong smooth motor and does not over heat easily. That's where the love ends for me though. To me, it feels very old technology when riding. It reminds me of the older Italian husky 250/300 but with a squatter chassis. I liked the old school Husky more than the beta. I just found I didn't get the feed back I needed from the Beta that you do from most bikes. I would almost describe a yz chassis like that too, but it turns better. Definitely feels very slow handling compared to the GasGas and Sherco. The guys that own them like them, but their not for me. My buddy has great luck with his as far as dependability goes.

They all have ktm beat when it come to stability. Don't judge the sherco for it's WP suspension. It's nothing like a ktm to ride. Swing a leg over and judge for yourself.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. What is the gear spacing like on the trans? Is it lots of shifting or relatively wide ratio?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
I'm on my second Sherco SE-R 300. Very stable, yet very nimble bike. No need for a damper. Also very light. Climbs hills like a hero. I had a bit of trouble with my 14 getting a bit hot on some of the slow nasty climbs, especially if you get stuck and have to spin it a bit.( the bike is very light compared to the gasgas and does not have that heat sink in the motor as such) That seems to be cured on my 15. The mapping seems better on the 15 as well. Works much better in the soft map on the 15 over the 14. I call it the 200 button. Works great when the trail gets messy or you get tired. Suspension has really good build quality and is easy to service with a big aftermarket for suspension parts and tools. The linkage is stupid simple to service with 1/2 the bearings to clean and grease compared to my GasGas. Very easy bike to work on with not too many different fasteners. Mostly 8 and 10 mm heads. The electric start is flawless. The 15 even starts well in second gear for race starts. I could really care less if I ever owned a bike with a kick start again, it works that good. And works even better with a lithium ion battery. Tool less air filter access. Good solid dependable bike, just like a GasGas. But way more refined.

My buddy has a Beta 300 2t. I have ridden it a few times. It has a strong smooth motor and does not over heat easily. That's where the love ends for me though. To me, it feels very old technology when riding. It reminds me of the older Italian husky 250/300 but with a squatter chassis. I liked the old school Husky more than the beta. I just found I didn't get the feed back I needed from the Beta that you do from most bikes. I would almost describe a yz chassis like that too, but it turns better. Definitely feels very slow handling compared to the GasGas and Sherco. The guys that own them like them, but their not for me. My buddy has great luck with his as far as dependability goes.

They all have ktm beat when it come to stability. Don't judge the sherco for it's WP suspension. It's nothing like a ktm to ride. Swing a leg over and judge for yourself.
What he said.
The sherco handles like a Gasser, but is a bit lighter.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Whelp, took the plunge and brought home a 2014 SEF-R300i today. The build quality and attention to detail is outstanding on this bike. It is weird for sure, but I'm very excited.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
Whelp, took the plunge and brought home a 2014 SEF-R300i today. The build quality and attention to detail is outstanding on this bike. It is weird for sure, but I'm very excited.
Let us know how you like the 300?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 PM

The best on the Sherlock it the function of the ignition switch, it affects not only the ignition, it affects the electrical power valve as well. The difference between mild and wild is enormous! Mild feels like a 250 four stroke and wild like a 300 two stroke. The difference is 200% mir than the switch on the gasser.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 AM

Sounds like Jason and his buddy ordered new Shercos as well.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyR View Post
Sounds like Jason and his buddy ordered new Shercos as well.
Your are correct Scott, I put a deposit on a 2016 Sherco 300 SE-R (WP suspension). Wasn't too keen on the Sachs fork on the Beta.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
Your are correct Scott, I put a deposit on a 2016 Sherco 300 SE-R (WP suspension). Wasn't too keen on the Sachs fork on the Beta.
For anyone that cares the Sachs fork is a copy of the open chamber wp.