Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-23-2016, 04:01 AM

Default Fork question,,

For many people this might seem like a stupid question however my understanding of exactly how the forks on my bike work is a little limited. I love how my suspension on my 2012 300r works 85% of the time however on erosion mounds my bike bottoms out at times. This is mostly on the mounds that are higher on the approach to the mound and then drop away on the other side. I'm sure you all know the ones. You hit the mound with a fair amount of speed unaware that your landing is a few feet lower than what you anticipated.
So, to my question?? When exactly does the rebound work in the stroke of shock and fork? Is it constantly pushing the fork and shock back out or is it not till the fork or shock begins its return stroke that it really begins to work? Just trying to work out what I need to do in regards to winding up the compression or rebound in both the fork and the shock. There is no high speed adjustment in the shock or forks.
Hope this makes sense..

Thanks

Josh

Old 02-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

The spring will try to push the fork back out /up. The rebound damping is there to slow that movement down. So the rebound damping circuit is only active when the fork extends.

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-23-2016, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Get reading grasshopper! This is one of the better tutorials I've found. Gives an understanding of how things work and a methodology for dialling it in.
http://www.off-road.gr/article11.html

Compression damping will 'control the rate' at which the stroke compresses.
Rebound damping controls the rate at which the stroke returns.

The spring acts in both directions. It resists compression, and then unloads its energy creating the rebound. The deeper in the stroke, the more compressed the spring, and the more energy required to compress it further.

Rebound damping simply needs to be able to allow the suspension to extend back quick enough to be ready for the next impact, but not so fast that the bike feels like a pogo stick.

Compression is a little more challenging. It needs to be able to deal with small bumps, big bumps, slow movement, fast movement, and also work with the spring to best allow it to work over a large range of terrain.

After all that, if you haven't serviced your suspension recently, that would be a perfect place to start.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:30 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Jakobi n Anders. That explains things. Think I'll go up one size for the spring front n rear..

Josh