Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM

Default Seat cover questions

Firstly I assume this is the correct section to put this in.

I have a 2000 model EC 250, and really like it, but the seat if very slippery. I bought the bike 2nd hand, and I'm pretty sure it has an after market seat cover on, although it appears fairly worn also. In fact it’s like it has been worn smooth, when I wind on the throttle I have to fight hard to stop slipping back. This ends up causing my arms to get tired quicker. I have had a little success by using the stick on grip tape on the side covers but its still not as good as say my brothers new yz-f.

I am considering getting a Guts Competition Seat Cover from gofasters. Has anybody had any experience with using these? Or have any other covers that they would recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kerry

Old 11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Kerry,

I bought a Guts gripper cover and tall seat foam about a year ago. I really like both of them. I'm 6 ft. tall and the taller seat foam makes transitioning from sitting to standing more easy. This is important if you have sensitive knees like me. Along with the gripper cover, it's the best money spent in my opinion. Like you, my stock cover was too smooth and slippery. Also, the stock seat foam was too soft. The combination caused me to slide around (both side-to-side and front-to-back) and provided poor support. It caused me to get "monkey butt" anytime that I rode. Very unpleasant!!! With the gripper cover and firmer seat foam, I have never had monkey butt again. I have done all day rides at 60+ miles and not a single issue. For me, I will always ride with gripper covers and firm seat foam (and taller in my case).
Old 11-02-2006, 07:20 PM

Cheers for the quick reply.

I have a feeling the seat foam in my bike is already higher then stock, and if quite hard. But I might get the new seat foam as well, since when ordering from New Zealand the shipping cost are fairly high and I don't want to be making to orders. I'm the same height as you, but haven't noticed the transition from sitting to standing being a problem, but anything that can make riding easier has to help.

I assume the Guts gripper cover you mention is the same as the one I mentioned in my 1st post? Its the only one available on gofasters website.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a pic of my bike. I would suspect that Guts has only one gripper cover for their taller seat foam. The taller seat foam is only at the transition point near the gas tank. It is about an inch taller in that region. It gives a flater appearance to the overall seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0001_ver2.jpg (44.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM

A odd question, how easy would it be to retro fit a seat cover deigned for a different brand (Yamaha YZ in this case) to a Gas gas EC250.
I have found a very cheap brand new One industrys Black gripper seat cover. I know the fitment won't be perfect but can anyone see any real difficulties? Its so cheap its almost worth buying on the off chance I can get it to fit.

Just a thought, other wise I am going to have to order from the states, and the price will be in the order of 4x as much as I can get this seat cover for.

Cheers for any info
Kerry
Old 11-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Hi Kerry,
In previous years, the seat shape was similar to a '94-'98-ish KX. Don't know if a KX seat can be made to "go" any more - the seat profile is slightly taller and flatter than it used to be.

Given this, I doubt you could get the YZ cover to fit well - but it's just my guess...

jeff
Old 11-08-2006, 09:01 AM

I found the N-style gripper material to be exceptional. It is significantly better than Ceet and the stock GG gripper covers.

I fit an N-style '94-'98 KX seat cover on my '01 XC seat. It would accomodate some additional seat height.

I fit an N-style late model KTM seat cover on my '06 EC seat. It had just enough material to fit. It would not fit a raised seat foam.

Over time, all gripper seats lose their grip. An easy way to improve the grip of your gripper seat cover is to spray on some belt dressing.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 AM

Hi!

Last winter I put an Execute gripper seat cover for a 2002- Honda CR250 on my EC250 '98. It was quite cheap from ebay with worldwide shipping. It took energy and a lot of heating but finally was perfect. The quality is very good and the red colour stayed nice after months of abuse. And it is very grippy, something I liked! I kept it when I sold the bike and have it on the side for my new MC250.

Leon
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 PM

Cheers for the info.

I am going to take my seat to see the guy selling the seat cover and see if it is likely to fit. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.