Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 01-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Default WP43's HELP, can't get the Compression holder out!

So Today was to be the day to rebuild the forks... Bushings, seals, etc... check.

Follow the manual, check....

Lower compression holder,.... all jacked up. It appears that some monkey had cranked these in way too tight, and now they will not come out. Of course I have damaged the 19mm nuts as well.

Is there any special trick to get the compression holders out? I am sure I will need to replace them when the are removed, but for now I just need them out.

I have found a set of WP43's from a 2002 KTM 250EXC for a good price, but are the axle clamps the same? Will I have more trouble getting these to work, or will they just bolt up to the wheel and caliper?

Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamyvr View Post
So Today was to be the day to rebuild the forks... Bushings, seals, etc... check.

Follow the manual, check....

Lower compression holder,.... all jacked up. It appears that some monkey had cranked these in way too tight, and now they will not come out. Of course I have damaged the 19mm nuts as well.

Is there any special trick to get the compression holders out? I am sure I will need to replace them when the are removed, but for now I just need them out.

I have found a set of WP43's from a 2002 KTM 250EXC for a good price, but are the axle clamps the same? Will I have more trouble getting these to work, or will they just bolt up to the wheel and caliper?
The KTM lowers are different. Axle size is right, but the right side end (internal hex) is 1mm smaller OD if I remember right. The other issue is the brake caliper mount as the KTM has thicker lugs on the rotor side which pushes the caliper into the rotor. You can machine those down 1 or 2 mm to make up the difference and spin the axle smaller and they should fit right up. I have a set of KTM 43's downstairs for parts on my 2002 and found this out when trying to mount them up. Not a direct bolt up, but the issues can be overcome if you know of them in advance.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM

thanks Phil,

I am hoping to take a fresh crack at them tomorrow (with a fresh attitude) I am still hoping to get them out...

but if not, I have a place to start...
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamyvr View Post
thanks Phil,

I am hoping to take a fresh crack at them tomorrow (with a fresh attitude) I am still hoping to get them out...

but if not, I have a place to start...
An option is to buy the KTM WP's and swap the bottom brackets. It depends on what gets damaged during disassembly. I bought my KTM 43's for the exact reason to have spares as my GG WP on the right side has a seized compression valve (seized to the lower) and the right rebound clicker was inoperative. I plan to mix and match in the spring when my schedule frees back up.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

i have a set of gg 43 wps if you need any parts..