Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyArgyle View Post
2011 EC 300. I've had her about 2 years now. Unfortunately, for over a year of that I was fighting through figuring out why she wouldn't run right. Turns out it was the reeds, but I created a few problems for myself in trying to solve that one, and it took a long time to get things straightened out.

BUT, she's ripping once again. I always felt like she was super smoky, and not knowing much about two strokes I wasn't sure if that was just part of the issue or what. I was running a 175 main with a NE3H needle in the third (middle) position, and a 40 pilot. Today (actually yesterday, don't hold it against me), I moved the needle down one notch (leaner). Mid and top felt pretty good, but I could tell idle wasn't great. No matter how I adjusted the air screw and idle, I couldn't bring the idle down. Again, not having too much two stroke experience, I didn't want to do any harm, but I noticed that if I 'half choked' the carb, it idled a little better.

So taking that into consideration, along with the fact that I leaned out the needle, I decided to go up one size on the pilot. I figured that makes sense since its cooler these days anyway.

Let me just say...
Damn.

Its like a whole new bike. Very responsive, wasn't smoking all the time, wasn't constantly loading up. I haven't checked the plug yet, but I suppose that would be a good idea.

Anyways, after a few hours of interspersed tweaking and ripping, it was bath time.

Now that I have that sorted, I think its time to fool with the ignitech cdi and try out some different maps. Anyone have any recommendations or custom maps they want to share?

Well done!!

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 02-05-2021, 01:33 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Looks good. Ride in 2 weeks laws hill. Sun shining this time of year.
Ribs still broken. Still sleeping in a chair.

Booger!
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:41 AM

Default Gas gas Txt 28 pro saga

Not today but over the last couple of weeks I bought myself a Txt 280 pro off a mate.
Said to be in good condition but needed a shit tonne of work unfortunately so I?ve spent the last couple of weeks getting it sorted.

First ride out on it before I bought it I noticed the air boot wasn?t sitting on correctly so I fixed that trail side. Also found the rear shock felt harsh as hell and noticed the bump stop rubber missing. Everything else was set up wonky as with to much play and the rubbers generally required replacing.

The clutch was also set up a tad on the large side and cause of my nerve pain in my left arm I needed a softer set up.

Pulled it all down replaced a clutch plate with a thinner one - perfect now. Shifter and kickstart gears all looked mint.

Motor sounded nice and tight and has minimal blow by on the rings. Found the muffler had rubbed through so a little tig action fixed that and a couple of cracks too. Muffler packing long gone so that was replaced too.

Carby cleaned and set up correctly, front brake master cylinder kit replaced due to piston sticking. Front sprocket replaced due to hooked teeth, rear and chain on the way.

Wrapped the header pipe to stop the flesh sticking to it so easily! Much better.

Upon pulling the shock I have found it is a unserviceable Sachs so I took to it with the drill press and converted it over to a needle valve style so it can be re gassed and serviced easily. I have a stiffer spring on the way also. Bottoms way to easily.

Linkages were shot as well and when they were pulled I found there was something jammed in between the dog bog and frame and the frames tab had worn down to the bolt head. More tig action to build that back up.

Spun it round and got started on the front end, greased the steering head bearings, serviced the forks to find red powder coat all through the shims and valving. Real smart Marzocchi... Also repaired the broken check valve spring and trashed wheel bearings.

Seriously pissed off with the bike and purchase at this point I finally button it all back together to go for a proper ride and find out the front rim has corroded through and needs replacing. Yay!

Took it for a ride regardless and had a ball although it is very different from enduro and takes a lot of getting used to. The bike is so capable though and will climb anything with a tiny bit of throttle.

Front rim and spokes on their way.

Last edited by Gasser Nate; 02-17-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:48 AM

Dang sounds like a Doozie. I'm amazed the front wheel corroded through... what year bike is it?
Old 02-07-2021, 12:20 PM

Default Nate?s Ride

Where are the photos?

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 02-07-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyArgyle View Post
Dang sounds like a Doozie. I'm amazed the front wheel corroded through... what year bike is it?
2007 pretty common on enduro bikes. I would not have thought it to be common on trials though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
Where are the photos?
I have a few before and after. But I was knee deep in filth so I didn?t take too many.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser Nate View Post
Not today but over the last couple of weeks I bought myself a Txt 280 pro off a mate.
Said to be in good condition but needed a shit tonne of work unfortunately so I?ve spent the last couple of weeks getting it sorted.

First ride out on it before I bought it I noticed the air boot wasn?t sitting on correctly so I fixed that trail side. Also found the rear shock felt harsh as hell and noticed the bump stop rubber missing. Everything else was set up wonky as with to much play and the rubbers generally required replacing.

The clutch was also set up a tad on the large side and cause of my nerve pain in my left arm I needed a softer set up.

Pulled it all down replaced a clutch plate with a thinner one - perfect now. Shifter and kickstart gears all looked mint.

Motor sounded nice and tight and has minimal blow by on the rings. Found the muffler had rubbed through so a little tig action fixed that and a couple of cracks too. Muffler packing long gone so that was replaced too.

Carby cleaned and set up correctly, front brake master cylinder kit replaced due to piston sticking. Front sprocket replaced due to hooked teeth, rear and chain on the way.

Wrapped the header pipe to stop the flesh sticking to it so easily! Much better.

Upon pulling the shock I have found it is a unserviceable Sachs so I took to it with the drill press and converted it over to a needle valve style so it can be re gassed and serviced easily. I have a stiffer spring on the way also. Bottoms way to easily.

Linkages were shot as well and when they were pulled I found there was something jammed in between the dog bog and frame and the frames tab had worn down to the bolt head. More tig action to build that back up.

Spun it round and got started on the front end, greased the steering head bearings, serviced the forks to find red powder coat all through the shims and valving. Real smart Marzocchi... Also repaired the broken check valve spring and trashed wheel bearings.

Seriously pissed off with the bike and purchase at this point I finally button it all back together to go for a proper ride and find out the front rim has corroded through and needs replacing. Yay!

Took it for a ride regardless and had a ball although it is very different from enduro and takes a lot of getting used to. The bike is so capable though and will climb anything with a tiny bit of throttle.

Front rim and spokes on their way.
I started trial riding about a year ago, wasn't enjoying the enduro so much after the move to NZ.

Trials feeds the addiction and is good fun. You should enter some events or you may find it will get a bit boring and you will move back to the enduro, that is what i found with the trials bike i had back in 2012. (most club events are far from the raga and toni bau level that scares most people away - lowest grade i could easily do on my enduro bike)

Also a lot more social as you get to meet and chat to people while you are waiting at the sections (I think this is the true reason for the open face helmets - easier conversation!!)
Old 02-08-2021, 09:01 PM

Yeah sweet I?ll get the thing sorted and look into it. There is a fair few of us in the group that have them so it is quite social at the moment.
Most of the time riding it I would be way more comfortable on the enduro but I?ve only been out on it a few times.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:21 AM

I had a TXT200 for several years, but after kids just couldn't find time to ride 4 disciplines and needed some money for roadracing. But find the right area and they are fun just trying stuff. Pretty crap if you have to ride them at any speed but that's not what they are about.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 02-09-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
I had a TXT200 for several years, but after kids just couldn't find time to ride 4 disciplines....
What was the 4th discipline? RR, Enduro, Trial and?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc