Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:15 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Overheating problems

I am up in Cloudcroft, NM riding this weekend - really incredible trails and views - one of the best places I've ever ridden.

My '14 XC300R is overheating on climbs. This is the first time I've had overheating issues (other than a mud race when my radiators got packed).

What has changed recently:
- I removed the thermostat and installed an in-line cooler from Checkpoint Racing
- I also installed the aluminum impeller from Checkpoint, but re-installed the original today in the hopes that might solve the problem.

I'm not sure where to go to debug this.

I have a working theory and wanted someone on here to confirm or tell me I'm crazy:

My Rekluse is slipping really badly - I need to adjust the installed gap again in the morning to see if I can get rid of the slipping. If the clutch is slipping badly, which means the bike is revving higher but not making as much forward speed, could this lead to overheating issues?

Again, was only having problems on climbs. I am running Engine Ice in the bike. I do have radiator braces installed - could these be contributing?
Was planning on changing the gear oil in the morning - been running Rotella T 15w-40 but might have to use something else tomorrow.

Appreciate any suggestions or places to look.

'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 PM

Jetting? I have same bike with similar mods and don't have any overheating issue. Is the bike running lean on hill climbs causing it to run hot? Try one size richer main and see if that helps.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:39 PM

Default You are on to something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
Jetting? I have same bike with similar mods and don't have any overheating issue. Is the bike running lean on hill climbs causing it to run hot? Try one size richer main and see if that helps.
So the other thing that has changed with my bike is...JETTING!

I ride at sea level normally - I rejetted for up here in the mountains.
I followed the JD Jetting kit recommendations for this altitude.

Thanks a lot Jersey - I think you have likely hit on the problem.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:14 AM

You have to bare in mind that the fuel/oil mix is the primary form of lubrication and cooling in a 2 stroke, better too much than too little!
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 08-16-2015, 06:24 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Most likely jetting as that is what has changed. But I know the Rekluse I had on my 06 kx would get really hot on technical climbs so I am sure that is also contributing a bit (06 Rekluse, not sure about the newer versions)
Old 08-16-2015, 09:26 AM

If the clutch is slipping that is going to be a major factor "slipping clutch equals LOTS of heat"

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 08-16-2015, 05:16 PM

Default Fixed - thanks everyone!

Jersey is the man - it was the jetting.

Since today is our last day here in the mountains, I didn't have time to
mess with it, so I raised the needle one level and went one size bigger on the main jet. That cured the overheating problems - had a great time riding today.

For those of you that have ridden Cloudcroft, Heart Attack Hill had my number today. ;-)

I set the installed gap on my Rekluse today and that alleviated the slipping issues as well.

Thanks again to everyone for posting replies - I'm a jetting noob (as if it wasn't obvious), but I learned a lot this weekend.