Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Are you sure that the geezer you had rebuild the engine didn't just swap the engine with one from a different year? Does the engine number still match the one on your registration docs, assuming it is registered?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Did you check the VIN on the frame to see if the frame is older than 2001? That hole is huge compared to the shaft. Washers will not fix that gap and it is going to move. I think that the cases are too worn and are no longer flat so you will not be able to get a good clamp load even if you over tighten the shaft nut. Plus you will be trying to clamp against the soft aluminumm cases that are now thinned from the uneven wear.

IMO it is one of three things 1) that is the older frame with the smaller diameter swingarm shaft with the newer engine intended for larger shaft, 2) or that engine was used in a bike with very loose engine bolts and swing arm shaft where the engine moved around alot and wore out the holes. 3) both options 1) and 2).

I built a 2000 GG with a 2005 GG engine and I found that a AA Maglite flashlight housing made a great spacer to fill the gap in the larger engine case hole and was a perfect fit for the smaller swingarm shaft. In my situation the engine case was not worn so I needed to machine off a slight amount from the OD but the ID was perfect.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davehuge View Post
That's interesting...
Yup, gives the impression of nice and tight but you end up with some mega play. The easiest way to feel it was with bike on stand, then tug the chain at the longest point. Needless to say a little poo came out when I noticed!!
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 12-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

The rocker supports finally arrived during the week and when I compared them to the old ones they were a couple of mm thicker so the old ones were definitely worn. I?ve not managed to check VIN numbers etc yet but the point above about it being an older frame seems likely.
I?ve thrown it back together and everything clamped up ok, quick start of the engine and it?s way better, the massive vibration has gone and the engine isn?t moving.
I didn?t get around to trying to drill/sleeve the cases as like was said above, I didn?t think I?d be able to get it central and get everything lining up again.

The bike won?t get a huge amount of use so I?ll see how it goes, I know what to keep an eye on now.

Thanks again for all of the help

Col