Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Default Amsoil shock fluid

I have both 5w and 10w. Which should I use in my shock(sachs) and forks(45zook)? Should I do a mix of the two fluids and if so what ratio?
My susp. has been resprung for my weight(225) but only the front has been revalved(by LTR).
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM

I forgot to add that I am a C level trail rider and ride mostly rocky technical Tennessee trails, no mx, and hardly any jumps.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I just learned a tonne of stuff here:

http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

At the bottom, they give you a schedule to mix different viscosities of fluid to achieve a target. That's here:

http://www.rohmax.com/rohmax/en/cust...seoilmixtures/

I hope that helps. I just run Amsoil light in everything. Then again, doing what I do isn't necessarily recommended.

blitz
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 PM

I used Maxma 2 wt for the forks and shock...I also did a revalve at both ends
and upped the spring rates for my weight.
In the shock... I switched out the rez piston and added a bladder, I did find that some oil was making it's way past the piston.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator

You don't want more than 5 weight, particularly in the shock - otherwise you will be "hating life". I am not sure what oil the sachs shock takes - you should really talk to Les before you do anything - these normally take a spectro very lite or ultra lite shock oil - I think the ultra lite is a 2 1/2 weight-ish oil...

In reference to the leaking reservoir piston - I asked Les at LT-Racing (a sponsor here) about this - he said it is normal for the piston to "weep a little" - he disassembles the shock and cleans up a few small casting flaws to avoid any issues. A piston is actually more reliable than a bladder and is what is used in more expensive shocks - it is more expensive to build this way... The bladder is easier for the novice to bleed and has no other advantage - it doesn't change the shock action.

jeff
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
You don't want more than 5 weight, particularly in the shock - otherwise you will be "hating life". I am not sure what oil the sachs shock takes - you should really talk to Les before you do anything - these normally take a spectro very lite or ultra lite shock oil - I think the ultra lite is a 2 1/2 weight-ish oil...

In reference to the leaking reservoir piston - I asked Les at LT-Racing (a sponsor here) about this - he said it is normal for the piston to "weep a little" - he disassembles the shock and cleans up a few small casting flaws to avoid any issues. A piston is actually more reliable than a bladder and is what is used in more expensive shocks - it is more expensive to build this way... The bladder is easier for the novice to bleed and has no other advantage - it doesn't change the shock action.

jeff
I didn't expect to feel a huge difference with a bladder, but you are right it is much easier to bleed.
I expected to be in and out of the shock a few times getting the valving right so a bladder makes it easier to work on.
I have never had a bladder fail on any of my bikes.