Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Gear problems...

Hey guys, if you remember from about 3 months ago 5 had a problem with my ec 125.

i was at a race and the gears went. I had 1st gear only.

Well a few months on, and after riding my other bike, I have decided to tackle the job of fixing it myself.

At the minute I am in my spare room, with the engine of my gasser removed, and lying in front of me.

I have removed the clutch plates, as I was told by gasgas uk to remove the clutch and look to the back of it to see if the "gear selector" was maybe worn and needs replaced??

However I can not see an easy way of removing the clutch and or clutch basket, as the two rotate independantly of each other.

Is there someone that may know the proper technique for removing it so I can see whats going on in there??

Thanks,

Jonny Weston

Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Without a clutch holding tool, stuff a rag in the gears that drive the clutch basket and use an air ratchet to get the clutch basket nut off.
Forgot to mention to stuff another rag, or something softer than the alloy between the basket and the hub.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:56 AM

Remove the clutch outer (undo spring bolts) and plates and a large nut should be revealed.
It can be a little tricky without some means of holding it firmly and safely. Often a home air wrench isn't powerful enough. Not sure on the Gasser but some engines specify loctite and quite a high torque on these nuts. If this is the case taking it to a tyre fitter and slipping the guy a fiver usually gains access to an industrial size air wrench.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:55 AM

Something else to look at as well without taking the clutch apart is to make sure your shifter is not getting stopped on the engine or something. Mine was bent oh so slightly causing it to only shift into first gear with no upper gears available. I bent the crap out of it and that was it. Just needed to get a new shifter. You will definitely need an air gun to get the clutch basket off but once off you will see that little shifter paw they are talking about tucked behind to the left of the basket. I had to replace one on my 97 and it was pretty easy to swap out.