Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Default Powervalve Help

So after replacing just about every gasket, cleaning the carb, and replacing the top end I am now narrowing down my issue to the power valve. Based on the description of the problem (bike never gets on the power band and sounds like a broke 2 stroke when revved out like the jetting is way off. I know the jetting is not off as it rain great with this jetting before. It starts and idles great, but that is about it.

So dealer said to check the power valve and make sure it is moving correctly. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to look for? Based on the way the bike is operating I am firmly believing it is the powervalve.

One thing I did not realize is when I replaced the top end, I opened the power valve on the right side to get clearance to tighten down the head bolt with a wrench. I am now finding out with the bike upright, the ball bearings could have fallen out.

Dealer suggested I remove the pipe, start the bike, give it gas and see if the valve opens. Not to thrilled at the though of hot gas and oil shooting in my face (or other debris) while the bike is running.

How do I check the proper functioning of the power valve, what should I look for, and how would I tell if a bearing fell out? I hope the bearing would sink to the bottom and attach to the drain magnet bolt?

Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVy...ature=youtu.be

Even if the Powervalve was stuck, open or closed, the bike would rev out. Would just not make power.
Check your reeds and change spark-plug.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stian View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVy...ature=youtu.be

Even if the Powervalve was stuck, open or closed, the bike would rev out. Would just not make power.
Check your reeds and change spark-plug.
It revs out, but like you say does not make power and sounds like a cold 2 stroke being revved to the moon.

Reeds are in perfect condition and spark plug is new.

Your video link doesn't work.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95jersey View Post
So after replacing just about every gasket, cleaning the carb, and replacing the top end I am now narrowing down my issue to the power valve. Based on the description of the problem (bike never gets on the power band and sounds like a broke 2 stroke when revved out like the jetting is way off. I know the jetting is not off as it rain great with this jetting before. It starts and idles great, but that is about it.

So dealer said to check the power valve and make sure it is moving correctly. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to look for? Based on the way the bike is operating I am firmly believing it is the powervalve.

One thing I did not realize is when I replaced the top end, I opened the power valve on the right side to get clearance to tighten down the head bolt with a wrench. I am now finding out with the bike upright, the ball bearings could have fallen out.

Dealer suggested I remove the pipe, start the bike, give it gas and see if the valve opens. Not to thrilled at the though of hot gas and oil shooting in my face (or other debris) while the bike is running.

How do I check the proper functioning of the power valve, what should I look for, and how would I tell if a bearing fell out? I hope the bearing would sink to the bottom and attach to the drain magnet bolt?
I would remove the right side power valve cover, disconnect the linkage to the power valve, then actuate the power valve (do not actuate the linkage arm) by hand. This is an easy way to see if the power valve itself is opening and closing properly on its own. If so, I would proceed to pull the entire side cover and check to see if the bearings are still in place. This way you can trouble shoot the whole assembly.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:34 PM

What silencer are you running? If have one with a screen insert check make sure it's clean.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
I would remove the right side power valve cover, disconnect the linkage to the power valve, then actuate the power valve (do not actuate the linkage arm) by hand. This is an easy way to see if the power valve itself is opening and closing properly on its own. If so, I would proceed to pull the entire side cover and check to see if the bearings are still in place. This way you can trouble shoot the whole assembly.
Thanks I will follow this procedure tomorrow. Sound logical.

I have house of HP silencer. Wide open bo screen
Old 06-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

Good advice above. When suggested to check the PV during use remove the pipe, remove the cover, then reinstall the pipe to watch it (or remove the lhs).

When you remove the actuator arm from the plate be careful not to crank on it (or use a little heat). People have had the pins break around the weld.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:08 AM

So here is the power valve moving on it's own with the linkage disconnected. Is this moving as it should?

If so, then next I will check the bearings.

http://vid1269.photobucket.com/album...psjakdu1ut.mp4
Old 06-17-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
So here is the power valve moving on it's own with the linkage disconnected. Is this moving as it should?

This looks like the normal range of movement to me. Anyone else?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I took the engine cover off and removed the power valve assembly. I checked all the parts as well as the action, and everything checked out perfect. No slack and the action is smooth and precise. I cleaned everything off and put the bearings back in and checked everything again for smooth action.

Then everything went back together, new oil and new antifreeze.

Bike ran much better and now came on the power band. I tweaked the needle position (NEDW from clip #3 to #2) to lean it out for the hotter weather and the bike ran great. Little blubbery on the bottom, but that is a simple idle adjustment.

Maybe a bearing fell out of place? It is hard to tell because once you remove the pin they all fall out anyway.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!