Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Default what to buy??

Ok,, I'm getting closer and closer to being able to ride again.. The Dr says ok to ride on the street to build up to off-road.. Now the big question,, what to get?? I had an 03 250(ds&plated) and still have my 97 250(DS&plated),, I'm leaning 4stroke as I want something plate-able.. Its possible to plate the 450 and the 515(or I believe it shouldn't be a problem),, but is that too big a bike to come back to after back injury? I was looking at the new yamaha 250cc yz dual sporter.. 75mpg, fi.. and can hit 88mph (one person),, I know it wont be a real woods weapon.. but might be a good transition bike to get back out.. but its a little pricey for a 250.. Thinking about a 250gg ec,, but then the new ones are not plate-able.(not sure).. I'm working on trying to borrow a street legal bike to do a little street riding on.. but havent found anything but cruiser type rides,, and thats not me,, I'd take a 600 crotch rocket over a cruiser type bike any day.. even tho it would fit name wise..
The trails I'm usually on are rooty, rocky and tight.. and the trail head is a quick 15 minute spin on the road(at 55-65mph) to get to..

Any opinions welcome..

Old 10-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I'd be really interested in the new Husky TE310, but since you have the plated 99 250 that makes it hard. That being the case I may be looking at a more road worthy dual sport.

I guess this doesn't help because I'd be having the same issues you are.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Steve,

Crotch rockets suck after half an hour, in traffic, or going the speed limit.
If you must have a true legal bike, get a nice used and plated Husky TE and a set of motard wheels, maybe even lower it to motard height. It then pulls double duty for less $$ than a new one, DS runs and carving up the PA backroads. Then get a new GG 250 for the serious trails. While the big thumper woods bikes can be fun in some conditions I would never want one for my only bike. Look how many guys went back?

If you can borrow something let me know, I'm a total asphalt junkie now. Its all I can do.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 PM

GMP,, you met my buddy John,, has the 06 te450,, he is going under the knife soon for a acl,, cadaver install job.. He said he's going to sell his 450.. its the factory DS.. and just needs new plastics.. Might have to ask him about $ on it.. I might even hit him up to borrow it for a couple weeks so I can decide.. Would be nice to have two more bikes.. Oh,, and still waiting to see the 310,, stopped by Fast by Ferracci the other day to see one and they werent in yet..
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM

Husky was the first thing that came to my mind as well,

Kawasaki KLX 250S or SF
Suzuki DRZ 400S or the discontinued DRZ 400E

There is the "Orange" options as well. Personally (at least right now) I would love to make a full dual sport bike from a KTM 250XCFW. I don't care how people feel that's a dam fine bike and light weight to boot.

My thoughts are that a smaller, lighter bike works better as a street bike than a bigger, heavier bike works as a dirt bike. My big 300 lb 625 SXC dual sport I could take "almost" anywhere my 250 EXC could go but at a far more sedate pace and you had to REALLY respect the weight factor of it. Mistakes are tiring and costly. Lighter is much better. Everything's a tradeoff when trying to cover 2 birds with one stone so choose carefully.

As I'm sure you know in many states it's possible to get a plate for one of these off road bikes which opens allot of options for you.

Skidad
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Here is one of my reviews.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=640608

I am with you on the 250XCFW. Thats a really fun bike to ride. Love that engine. Now put it in a bike with linkage and were all good.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM

I've had pds ktm's and rode some others,, I have issues with the pds,, I'm not sure if its just me or they feel that odd.. Almost like riding a cannondale mtn bike with a lefty..just doesnt feel right.. I'd like to get a 625 but they seem a little portly for me.. and a little tall.. That tall the weight feels like more when your only 5'6".. Back in high school days,, I used to ride rz350's and on occasion a kaw ex500, and a 500 interceptor.. now thats one streetbike that I really liked.. I had an 83 ltd 440 as my first streetbike(that I acually owned,, legaly) and in just over one year I put 27K+ miles on it.. I had a goldwing for a week..early 80's version with no bags or anything.. too heavy,,
If I could get comfy on a te that might be it.. I like the 610 but its a little big.. Saw a 99 410 local for sale for 2K in near mint,, original tires still on it.. That could be a fun bike.. but,, I'll check out the 450te first..
Thanks,,
Steve
Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 PM

Steve,

The Husky is tall and has a big feel. I'm sure you would feel better lowering it. Good bike though, but more suited to faster more open trails, at least at my level.

Tell John to reconsider the cadaver ACL, not the best choice for an active person. Takes a long time to repopulate with cells and fails often. Patella tendon harvest is the way to go for an athlete/rider.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 AM

I'd either go for a GasGas FSR515 or a Husaberg FE570. The new bergs are VERY nice bikes and supposedly the rear suspension actually works, unlike a KTM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Steve,

Tell John to reconsider the cadaver ACL, not the best choice for an active person. Takes a long time to repopulate with cells and fails often. Patella tendon harvest is the way to go for an athlete/rider.

Yup, GMP is correct. Also make sure the doc who's doing the surgery has done 100's of them.

Cruiser I don't know where you live (as this could be a factor) but the Beta 450 and 525 dual sports are REALLY nice. They have the older KTM RFS motors which IMO is great (new ones have some issues) and linkage. Build quality is beautiful. Some place in Illinois is selling the 08's at almost cost.

The 625 IS to big. I wanted it for it's passenger carrying ability. It's tall and heavy but so is the 610 husky.

The 450 and 525 EXC KTM's (the street legal RFS motor ones NOT the new engine) are really nice dual sport bikes IMO. Not to heavy and the suspension can be made to work with the right tuner. One of the best right now is Trail Tricks in CA but there are quite a few others.

Happy hunting!

Skidad