Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-15-2018, 02:48 AM

Default Suspension advice please

Just purchased an '11 EC250 with 48mm Zokes and Ohlins rear. I got my first ride on it Sunday. Both ends are stiff but ridiculously so on the forks. They didn't compress unless it was a big hit and the compression is set full soft. Front end was sliding off small rocks and pushing out badly in anything soft. Played with rebound but no joy. The rear was stiff but actually didn't feel too bad to me and hooked up really well. Previous owner was 180 lbs and I'm only 140 lbs. Don't know the forks springs but the rear is a 5.4. PFP is adjusted all the way out.

I started going through some of the older threads on here about these forks and the setups everybody was running with them. I found the chart that was posted a while back and it suggests I should be running .38 up front and 4.6 rear.

So, do these spring rates sound right for a mid-pack B racer? Also, where can I even find them? I read something about some KYB fork springs work but nothing definitive so any info on that? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220

Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Make sure you bleed air. You'll have to check oil level, but really then spring rate and oil type.

I found them deflect on roots but after a revalve they were better. Still felt they beat me up and after a couple of years some kyb sss forks revolved fixed the problem

At your weight everything will likely suit softer springs.
Going full soft on compression seem like the thing to do but it is only opening a hole which will blow through rather than progressively opening the shims.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM

read the posts on 48 cc . i have the same problem on my 013 forks looking to change the ics ppf spring to a 1nm or 1.4 nm but struggling to find any in the uk proberley have to get them from usa of e bay ractech
Old 05-16-2018, 05:30 PM

I've never torn in to forks before. It seems most around here don't have much experience with these forks. Since AZRickD already had them revalved before I think I might be up to just doing the springs and fluid change myself. So...

Could someone please list what special tools I need to accomplish a fluid and spring change? The info on servicing these forks is spread out in so many threads it's a pain to track it all down.

Also, for those that have used the KYB fork springs, did you use a spacer to get the 5mm preload on the spring?
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-16-2018, 06:08 PM

look on youtube
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
I've never torn in to forks before. It seems most around here don't have much experience with these forks. Since AZRickD already had them revalved before I think I might be up to just doing the springs and fluid change myself. So...

Could someone please list what special tools I need to accomplish a fluid and spring change? The info on servicing these forks is spread out in so many threads it's a pain to track it all down.

Also, for those that have used the KYB fork springs, did you use a spacer to get the 5mm preload on the spring?
There is a suspension shop in Chandler, AZ, Ride JBI, might want to give him a call, his name is JB, nice guy, offers great advise and services just about everything!

Google it.. there is NO shortage of info on this guys shop. http://www.ridejbi.com/
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 05-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post

The inner cartridge has a snap ring where you can change the height of the spring perch. Spring perch needs to be pressed down to show them though, and it's usually a tight fit. Watch out for any swarf if the end of the snap ring bites into the perch.

Have a look at the manual here..

The cap and cart tools are the same size as KYB SSS.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvktm View Post
look on youtube
The youtube videos I've seen so far on the 48mm Zokes suck but I'll keep looking. You have a particular one in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
There is a suspension shop in Chandler, AZ, Ride JBI, might want to give him a call, his name is JB, nice guy, offers great advise and services just about everything!

Google it.. there is NO shortage of info on this guys shop. http://www.ridejbi.com/
No need for a good tuner. I use Donnie at ZR1. He's a good tuner and always works with me to get it right and I have been very satisfied with his work. Unfortunately, he's backed up right now, probably due to him recovering from hip surgery, so I was thinking I could learn to do a spring and fluid change myself. I figure it's about time I learn anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
The inner cartridge has a snap ring where you can change the height of the spring perch. Spring perch needs to be pressed down to show them though, and it's usually a tight fit. Watch out for any swarf if the end of the snap ring bites into the perch.

Have a look at the manual here..

The cap and cart tools are the same size as KYB SSS.
Got the Marzocchi manual for them. AZRickD provided that all printed out and in a binder for me when I bought the bike. Thanks for the tips on the tools and spring perch. I think I can give it a go.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 05-17-2018, 04:51 PM

Good thinking on doing the springs first and valving second. Over-stiff springs and incorrect sag will have the bike acting very strangely.

I actually had the forks valved softer at one point, so they *can* be made softer. I went another route because I was 210 at the time. Too squishy.

The fork springs are stock, so you can go lower. The rear is one size bigger, but I think I gave you the stock spring as a spare.

For the forks, you have wiggle room for lighter oil and a bit more air space (but beware of cavetation (forks need fluid carefully worked through them during service). And, a more compliant shim stack (flutter, et al) is what I tried before.

Also, the pre-load spring is one lesser than stock. I believe there is one more lesser spring.

My tuner also fiddled with the spring perch, but I’d bet there is more room to play.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info and thanks again for such an awesome deal, Rick! Hope to see you at the AMRA races!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220