Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
nice idea! i'd be really interested in how it did in the mud....
It works well !
When we get the rainy seasion here we gets some very muddy sections and I was having a hard time climbing muddy hills...That is before I cut the tire.
I was almost ready to switch back to a knobby until the trail dries out.
But I did'nt want to give up the trials tire because it works so well on the roots, rocks and logs.
I thought I'd give cutting it a try since the tire was already used and abused, and I have a new one waiting to be mounted. So nothing to loose
Now I can run the trials rain, shine, mud, dry doesn't matter.
But you still have to use some finess with the clutch and throttle.
I ride with other guys that run knobbys and I laugh when I see them struggle trying to get over logs, or sliding out on rooted sections.
There's one section (a creek crossing) with rock ledges on the other side, a two ledge step-up each about 3' tall and less than a bike length apart, so as the rear wheel is hitting the first ledge the front wheel is hitting the second ledge...and their covered with a slimy wet moss...I can scoot up it no problem, some times I have to dab, but I have really good traction.
The knobby guys have lots of trouble there and I get to witness lots of carnage.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKWIND View Post
Great idea Moto9, will it go thru deep quadtard mud holes?
Not sure what a quadtard is or did you mean quad tire?

I'm not sure if a cut trials tire will work better or worse than a knobby in deep mud holes...haven't run across that yet, nor did I test the two back to back.
That would be a good one for someone with a little more time and money.
But,
I know the cut trials tire worked a lot better in muddy conditions than it did before I cut it...and I didn't feel any loss of traction anywhere else due to cutting it.
So, I think it's a win win. "IMHO"
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto9 View Post
Not sure what a quadtard is or did you mean quad tire?
Quadtard = operator of a 4 wheeled vehicle known as an ATV. This species may be found floundering in mud and swill holes.

----------------
Now playing: Iron Maiden - The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
via FoxyTunes
Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 AM

Thats a real interesting idea, as the ONLY time I felt at a disadvantage with the trials tire was in deep mud with no hard bottom. The extra space should let it clear out a bit better. Have you noticed any knobs next to the cuts tearing off?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thats a real interesting idea, as the ONLY time I felt at a disadvantage with the trials tire was in deep mud with no hard bottom. The extra space should let it clear out a bit better. Have you noticed any knobs next to the cuts tearing off?
That is a great question, I have 3 rides on the tire which is about 10 to 12 hours.
So far no ripping yet, I am pretty good at riding fast off the pipe...well the trails I ride are tight so it's the fastest way thru the single track.
Also, I don't know how it will work in your area?
My best advice to every one that runs a trials tire in muddy areas is to cut a used tire...that way if you don't like it your not wasting a new one.
I'm amazed with the trials tire where I ride, I mean my tire has been thrashed for the past 6 months, I am currently running it backwards, I cut a fair % of knobs off and it still out shines any knobby on the trail "and I prove it at every tough section"
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Question

Hey Kenny,

Did you have any luck with the tire?