Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Update

Dealer is going to get me a used peg as back up and a new kick starter. Even though it seems the kickstart nub breaking was a fluke, the new kicker will be a spare. I am very happy with the throw, quality, and looks of the yami part. As well as the yami IMS pegs, nice stuff! As for the electric start issues, I have now determined it to be too warm of jetting for the cold day I was riding on and mainly rider error. These bikes only want a slight crack of the throttle as you push the button. She will light up everytime with zero issues. I think my jetting (read--> air screw and pilot jet) were too far off for the very cold temps that we rode in a few weeks ago. There are zero issues with the E-start. It was jetting and my own fault. Actually was funny because on the ride this past sunday that I just had, a bunch of KTM guys were drooling over how well my Estart worked and how strong the estart motor sounded.

Now for a 2nd ride report. The temps were in the 40's, frozen ground, bare thaw ground, some snow sections, mud sections and some ice. The first loop was tight and had some twisty trails. I was having fun using the smooth power on the muddy trails that had ice under it. I worked on the conering and have determined that the bike is really laid out well. I like the egronomics of it and it turns on a dime.

The real advantage and strong point of this bike shined on a 12 mile trail that we did next. It was a fast pace but still twisty with some sharp turns, rolling hills, switchbacks, off cambers, more off cambers, downed trees that you had to go around, whoops and just some fun stuff. The bike was incredible. The motor really showed it strengths on this long trail section. You can just hook up and haul butt. Then when you get to a slimey off camber uphill, you go into Dick Burleson mode and tractor right up it without losing any time. But the real thing that shined and was immediately apparent to me while I was riding this trail was how smooth I was being. I was super smooth and just making time everywhere. I am in love with 3rd gear on this bike. It is perfect and I love how the motor is in that gear. We had a large ground of fast guys and I ran them all down till I got the last guy and we went at it for a long time. Eventually my arms pumped from the pace and lack of riding that I have been doing soo I just hung on his fender until the trail ended.
It was funny listening to the guy talk about my bike. " I knew it was you that caught me right away and I didnt have to look back, that thing has a cool motor noise and exaust note", " you were rippin on that thing", another guy pulled up a few minutes later and was saying how I looked really smooth on the bike.
Later in the day we went on to some tighter trails that were muddy and challenging because it was switchback after switchback. I lost some of the advantage of the bike in this section. I wasnt able to use the motor the way I wanted because u had to let it rip to go fast in that section. Earlier I had lost a barkbuster because the bar end rattled out so I had to remove the right side bark buster. This was a little un-nerving as I dont like riding with out handguards. I was also probably a little tired at this part of the day and the stock seat was killing my butt and bothering me. The suspension was a bit hacky in this section. I have to get stiffer springs and work on some settings with the clickers to see where I am going to be at for setting it up for racing. Still though, I held my ground and kept the pace under pressure from my buddy behind me.

I still havent bled the forks or so much as turned a clicker or set sag. Cant wait to dial the suspension in. I am getting springs this week. I will be riding the SandyLane Enduro in New Jersey so I will have to dial it in for that terrian as I ride the event. The only other thing that is bugging me is that some areas of the frame are peeling. The area near the steering stops is peeling as is the area behind the rear brake pedal mounting surface. P.S.- this thing has the strangest air filter setup that I have ever seen.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Great reviews. Glad you're loving the bike.

I ran Moose Racing footpegs on my XC last year without even riding teh stockers, but I never had an issue with the kick lever. Nevertheless, care to share the Yamaha part number for the kickstart?

The filter setup is a little odd (too close to the subframe at the top in my opinion), but after a few changes the foam takes a set and you're in. Just remember that the "up arrow" actually points closer to 1 o'clock than noon

It doesn't hurt to run a PC Racing neoprene ring in the box either - seems to help alignment and sealing.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters