Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Ride Reports

Ride Reports Tell us all the gorey details!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default 2013 first ride....

Rode some pretty good stuff today, lot of gullies, rocks, off-camber, SAND!
Road the 2011 first, and it was doing really well, the deep sugar sand was a triple B, i think this was a 9 mile loop. Switch to the '13, which I had some concerns because of the height, but it was really a none issue - until I stopped. the '13 seems a lot more stable in the sand, when I got the bike lined up, it railed. We had some jumps, maybe 8-10 ft tall, that were pretty cool and the '13 seemed to handle those much better. The engine revs much faster. I think I was running about the same clip as I did on the 11 with the caveat: the 13 does NOT have the stabilizer, Rekluse or the Flexx bars that I have on the 11, so I think it did pretty good even with my sorry butt riding it. I think that I may have the back setup stiffer than the front:5.8 on the front, 6.0 on the back but it was really pretty nice. Used pretty much all the front travel with the PFS turned about 1.5 in from full out. Not sure if that is something I should fiddle with, I really am not sure what it does It was all the way out from the crate, Hall's said to set it 1.5-1.75 in, so that is what I did. 7/8's 12pt socket seems to work quite well on it.

Cheers,
Rob

Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Glad you like it. Yes, the new frame and fork are very stable and still steer fast. For you guys down there with a lot of faster sand stuff its a big improvement. Most of it is the fork, ask Girard after he did his KYB swap.

PFP is just a cartridge pressure spring preload adjustment. It affects overall fork preload somewhat, and allows the fork to work pretty good in the fast stuff with light valving thats more suited for technical stuff. The comp valving is quite light. I run PFP full out in the rocks, and 1 to 2 turns in in the sand or faster stuff. I made a tool that fits on the adjuster with the bars on for trailside adjustment. 22mm is the right size, don't hack up the knob!
Old 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM

Are you going to post a picture of that tool, 'cause without one it doesn't exist The sand was wicked yesterday, I had the PFS at 1.5 in, maybe try 2 next time? I am really impressed with how well it did without a stabilizer!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Exist? It existed before I even got my bike, a full year ago. Look here:

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...FP+tool&page=2
Old 03-18-2013, 11:01 AM

LOL, ok, I am busted!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM

my dealer had some tools made up and they are an exact fit to the valve not a box end . if you are interested pm me your phone number and i'll send you a pic I cant get mine to upload. he is selling them for 25 bucks
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM

Will it fit under Flexbars? That was a criteria of my design. If you have to pull the bars a 22mm socket works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM

Gmp- I have no idea if it will fit but I measured it and it is 1/4 in thick once you get it positioned only 1/8 sticks up. How much room do you have between the top of the fork and bottom of the bars? I hope that helps. It is thinner than the tool that was posted earlier in the thread
Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 AM

I will also report, I have flexx-bars with under mount scotts coming.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 AM

It should fit. That tool pic was mine. Photo was taken before I got the bike, and height of the box/ring section was adjusted for fit. Close to .25" I'd estimate. Flexxbars are tougher because of the straight lower section, no bend to aid clearance. I added a couple stainless washers(< 2mm) to the one aluminum spacer so I couild fit the tool easier with the forks up to the first line, and not have to cut it any thinner.

If you have a sub mount then its no problem at all. In fact you could just use a box wrench ground down for clearance in the cartridge cap.