Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Being a marketing guy, the first thing I look at to get an idea of who's being targeted with a product is the brochure, data sheet, website, etc. Take a look at the "tag line" from the brouchure:

Quote:
The new TX randonne 2014 has been created and improved to enjoy unlimited offroad. A bike easy to ride in any way thanks to its versatility.
Not exactly specific, but the message is pretty clear - a versatile bike that can be ridden by anyone If you look at the imagery used in the brochure, it shows both men and women in both a trials type environment as well as trail - and it's significant to note that the trail image has a female rider.

Here's a link to the Randonne page on GG: http://www.gasgasmotos.es/en/dual-sp...donne-200.html

And here's a link to the brochure: http://www.gasgasmotos.es/uploads/mo...e_2014_eng.pdf

While discussing the technical aspects of the bike are important, what really drives a bike like this is the messaging Gas Gas puts behind the bike - as well as user/reader/etc reviews.

Personally, I see something like this as being the perfect addition for a dealer to offer when catering to the family dirt bike segment. Trying to avoid stereotypes, but Dad gets an enduro bike while wife/son/daughter gets an entry level machine to start enjoying the sport.

It truly is about the story being told

Old 04-04-2014, 02:01 PM

Basing an entry level bike on a trials machine is a stupid idea for the U.S. market (i.m.o.) because trials isn't popular here - never has been and doesn't seem to be getting any more popular. I love trials and have a trials bike but lets face facts trials bikes are no more suited for regular trail riding than a top fuel dragster is for riding on the street. Gearing is all wrong, frame geometry is set up for going really, really, slow, and they are very fragile when compared to an enduro bike. Fifteen years ago I really wanted a GasGas Pampera until I rode one. It was roughly the same size as my wifes' crf150 but not nearly as much fun to ride.
GasGas does need an entry level bike for the U.S. market but lets remember that an entry level bike will (most likely) be the one and only bike its owner has so it will have to be suitable and fun for whatever it will be used most for. I know a lot us on here would "like" to have a Radonne as a second bike if they had money to burn but I'm no more likely to buy one than I am to buy a Rokon Trailbreaker.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Also most entry level riders will sit 99% of the time. This bike has a seat yes, but isn't really meant for planting your ass on while riding.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2day View Post

Personally, I see something like this as being the perfect addition for a dealer to offer when catering to the family dirt bike segment. Trying to avoid stereotypes, but Dad gets an enduro bike while wife/son/daughter gets an entry level machine to start enjoying the sport.

I dunno, I have no interested in it. I'll probably get drug over the coals for this next comment, would be really excited if KTM brought over the 350 and 250 Freeride....looks to be about a perfect bike for my girlfriend. She had a KX100, which she did "ok" on but that is a pipey little thing.

The Freeride looks to be a perfect little trail bike.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I dunno, I have no interested in it. I'll probably get drug over the coals for this next comment, would be really excited if KTM brought over the 350 and 250 Freeride....looks to be about a perfect bike for my girlfriend. She had a KX100, which she did "ok" on but that is a pipey little thing.

The Freeride looks to be a perfect little trail bike.
When it starts, and stops.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned

These putt around trail bikes represent the beginning of the end.As more and more of our offroad riding areas go away .

Fast forward 20 years.
We are going extinct.
Just 20 years ago it was a whole different world for the hardcore woods rider-racer.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
but lets face facts trials bikes are no more suited for regular trail riding than a top fuel dragster is for riding on the street.
Never gone out and laid waste to all the enduros on single track have you?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ud_luz View Post
Never gone out and laid waste to all the enduros on single track have you?
I'm too slow to lay waste to anybody, anywhere, anymore but I knocked the Hell out of a big dogwood tree the other day. A big rock that was hidden by leaves in a rut launched me and the bike airborne straight into the tree at @20mph. Skinned it and me but the bike is unscathed. I believe it would have twisted my trials bike up like a pretzel.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Dog gone it Ken, be careful. Sam and I plan on coming back down so don't get yourself all broke.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
I'm too slow to lay waste to anybody, anywhere, anymore
Sadly I'm now in the same category. Still very good on the technical stuff though.