Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 PM

Smile All 2010 ec300 owners opinion

in your honest opinion how do these bikes perform? ive currently got a 450 and looking at getting a 300 but a bit hesitant as to downgrading in power, but have been told by dealer that i wont be dissapointed is this just sales talk or fact. please just honest opinions on there experience with this model bike anywhere around the world thanks

Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Can't say I have ridden a GG450 but I have ridden a few of my mates 450's of different brands.
The power is probably just different.
I love the feel of the two stroke and find the 450 bikes dull in the pickup whereas the two stroke feels light and lively.
Top end on the 450's would be better I suppose but it depends what you want it for.
Long dirt road rides and you would be better off on the 450 but single trail and anything else and the 2t is the way to go.
If anything the two stroke would probably feel snappier but the 4t torquier.
Probably doesn't help you at all, I know.
Probably best if you test out a GG or dare I say it Ktm 300 to get an idea of the power.
Cheers Mark
Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I am a proud owner of both a 450 '05 and a 300 '10.

I have ridden only nasty enduros with the 450 up until recently, it has now been dual sported. The 450 has been incredibly reliable.

The 300 feels a lot lighter when handled standing still so to say, loading it on the hauler, lifting it out of mud etc. when driving I must say the difference is not that notable. However the 450 has a bit more weight on the front wheel.

The 450 has a slight tendency to stall when lugged down low, the 300 just keeps going. So imho the 300 feels both torquier and snappier(when coming on the pipe.) I ran a really tight enduro with the 300, with many steep climbs and was really impressed with its performance. No problem getting the power to the ground, it ran like freight train. On some spots the wet mud gave way and deep, fotpeg catching ruts was appearing on many spots. Just second gear, and sit back a bit and roll the throttle hard and the bike wheelied through it all we me kind of just clinging to it, it kind of knew by itself how to get through

The suspension on the 300 works very good in mx-like conditions with whoops and jumps, but it plain sucks in the rock gardens where I dwell most of the time. I think my springs are too light, looking into getting 0.5 kg springs.. (weighing in att 115 kg dressed)

The 450 has now a 40 teeth rear sprocket, still possible to take into the woods on the lower gears, and works wonders on the long stretches of dirt roads.

So, get the 300, but keep the 450.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergerhag View Post
I am a proud owner of both a 450 '05 and a 300 '10.

I have ridden only nasty enduros with the 450 up until recently, it has now been dual sported. The 450 has been incredibly reliable.

The 300 feels a lot lighter when handled standing still so to say, loading it on the hauler, lifting it out of mud etc. when driving I must say the difference is not that notable. However the 450 has a bit more weight on the front wheel.

The 450 has a slight tendency to stall when lugged down low, the 300 just keeps going. So imho the 300 feels both torquier and snappier(when coming on the pipe.) I ran a really tight enduro with the 300, with many steep climbs and was really impressed with its performance. No problem getting the power to the ground, it ran like freight train. On some spots the wet mud gave way and deep, fotpeg catching ruts was appearing on many spots. Just second gear, and sit back a bit and roll the throttle hard and the bike wheelied through it all we me kind of just clinging to it, it kind of knew by itself how to get through

The suspension on the 300 works very good in mx-like conditions with whoops and jumps, but it plain sucks in the rock gardens where I dwell most of the time. I think my springs are too light, looking into getting 0.5 kg springs.. (weighing in att 115 kg dressed)

The 450 has now a 40 teeth rear sprocket, still possible to take into the woods on the lower gears, and works wonders on the long stretches of dirt roads.

thanks bergerhag for your honest opinion
Old 07-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have a XC300 and a TE 510 Husky which was my main ride until this year. The 510 was a rocket on D/T and very solid on the S/T stuff, but by the end of the day I felt pretty beat up throwing all that weight around. I still take it up in the hills but mostly used for back and forth to work. It has it's purposes and is very good at it. I love that bike.
The XC is by far the best enduro I have owned.
I had the front suspension re-valved since day one and now the bike glides over anything I throw at it. It's nimble enough to go anywhere my GG TXT goes...almost plus as a bonus has a seat.
I wanted the magic button and was a little apprehensive on getting the 2010.
But this thing starts first kick and with running a 52 in the back never stalls...hardly.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 07-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I agree with the above gents...if you can, keep both.

I have an '07 Husaberg 550: fast bike, ideal for fireroads, fast trails etc. It can do it all but for slower, more technical riding, I prefer my Gas Gas, a little shorter and substantially lighter.

There is no shortage of power with a 300...trust me.

Keep in mind I haven't ridden in a long, long time lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 PM

look gents i havnt ridden a 300 before so i cant comment on performance, i dont want to purchase a 300 and be happy that its lighter but is slow in comparison to a 450 so can you gents comment in the power delivery of a 300 are they linear or aggressive
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Both... The XC will lug down to nothing and just keep on going. I mean the bottom end power delivery is mind blowing. I can't believe how low this thing will go and not stall. Crack the throttle, it picks right up and away you go.
If you are willing enough to rev er up till you get to the power band...the bike transforms into a rocket. Yet still very controllable. Linear is the word. But you better hang on.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
I have a XC300 and a TE 510 Husky which was my main ride until this year. The 510 was a rocket on D/T and very solid on the S/T stuff, but by the end of the day I felt pretty beat up throwing all that weight around. I still take it up in the hills but mostly used for back and forth to work. It has it's purposes and is very good at it. I love that bike.
The XC is by far the best enduro I have owned.
I had the front suspension re-valved since day one and now the bike glides over anything I throw at it. It's nimble enough to go anywhere my GG TXT goes...almost plus as a bonus has a seat.
I wanted the magic button and was a little apprehensive on getting the 2010.
But this thing starts first kick and with running a 52 in the back never stalls...hardly.
my 300 has 13/48 std sprokets and lugs up some crazy hills ... with that 52 you must be chasing spiderman up buildings!!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
my 300 has 13/48 std sprokets and lugs up some crazy hills ... with that 52 you must be chasing spiderman up buildings!!
Lol Lol Lol