Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Default Cleaning out pipes <insert bad joke here>

I have been wanting to clean my header as I am sure it is packed full of spooge and carbon. How do you guys do it?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Take an old throttle cable.
Cut the cable out of the sheath.
Make a loop with the cable.
Insert the ends in a drill.
Stick the cable in the pipe, turn on the drill and work it back and forth.
Dump the carbon out.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM

thats actually a really smart idea bro i never thought of that!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

I either ate something or contracted something that severly cleaned my pipes out yesterday. Ended up heading home from work early. This morning wasn't much better. <bad joke inserted - but true story>

Never cleaned mine out, but I image you have a few options. Either was the inside out with some kind of chemical to break down and reduce the build up (this sounds messy) or burn it all out with a torch.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Love the throttle cable idea too! FTW!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambo-trev View Post
thats actually a really smart idea bro i never thought of that!
Old school trick I learned on my 1979 IT 175. It was street legal. My high shool transportation.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM

I had a '75 DT 175 as my high school wheels. I did spend a fair amount of time wringing it out in the dirt!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I either ate something or contracted something that severly cleaned my pipes out yesterday. Ended up heading home from work early. This morning wasn't much better. <bad joke inserted - but true story>

Never cleaned mine out, but I image you have a few options. Either was the inside out with some kind of chemical to break down and reduce the build up (this sounds messy) or burn it all out with a torch.
It only takes a session of this to make you ponder the accuracy of all those hippies that spout crap like "the average person has 10lbs of undigested meat in their bowls" "Colonic irrigation yady yah"

Nah man, 2nd sitting of the squirts & I'm empty. Then when its coming out water & that water has virtually lost its colour you wonder why your body is still fighting this. You have to sleep on a towel just in case & you don't trust a fart for a week after.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

You're not wrong! They can flush if it makes em feel better. For me the body does it when it needs too!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 AM

I've never tried this on a pipe, but it works on rusty/dirty steel gas tanks: Pour in about a 1/4 gallon of Diesel and some of that clean white chat rock like they use in gardens. You can get the rock from Home Depot or any place with a garden center. Seal both ends. Duct tape works, or make plugs from a big ball of duct tape, or even a rag. Make sure the chat-rock is clean before you use it. Take a torch or Map gas to the outside of the pipe and heat it all over. Shake the crap out of it for a couple minutes, let it set and cool off until you can handle it, then repeat the process 3-4 times. It also helps to twist and turn it every which-way between heat/shake cycles to distribute the diesel and rock. Pour out the rock and diesel, which you can save and reuse if you want. Heat it again, and flush it out with diesel but without the rocks, then finally blow it out with high pressure air to make sure you get out all the mix. 90% or more of the carbon will come out with the diesel and rocks. If you have a stubborn rock or two that doesn't want to come out, flush it with a garden hose, then blow it dry again with the compressed air.

Someone will, like I did, figure that gasoline or kerosene will work better and break up more carbon faster, which it will. Just remember you are using an open flame. Remember that if you use gas, you have just made a bomb of your pipe! Diesel is far less flammable. You might have to work a little harder on the shaking part with Diesel, but you'll also be more likely to survive. So will the pipe.