Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:06 AM

This is why I think the wet mod is such a good idea. The case actually gets some lubricant other than tacky thick grease that just gets flung to the case and not on the gears and bearings that need it. Mine is so much quicker and quieter than the others I ride with and all with the stock 130cca battery.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Hello all.

I’m new to gasgas and glad to have 7 hours on my new 18’ ec250. It’s light years ahead of my CRF....accept for the estart. Starts cold with the kickstart first kick every time but never with the estart. Maybe 50/50 when using the estart on the trail.

Last week I added a ground wire from the battery to the starter bracket. This made trail starting better but not perfect and still no cold estart.

Today I replaced all of the positive and negative wires in the battery/starting circuit. All connectors were crimped then soldered before being shrink wrapped. The estart system works perfectly now.....like it was made for the job.

Also swapped to a 125cca battery but it’s barely larger than the oem so I doubt that did it. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Friday I discussed this with Jim Haugen the Gasgas Technical advisor. He suggested that I check the electric start bendix for binding in the end cap on the left side engine case. I removed the starter and the left side cover. I did not feel what I thought was excess binding when I rotated the bendix gear, but I polished the hole inside that outer bendix cover anyway and now my starter works from cold. At least it did last night. I used a dremel tool with a felt polishing pad that was a snug fit in the bore of the case hole. Polished it up dry for about a minute, until I could feel the aluminum getting warm and then I stopped. Looks nice and shiny in that hole now. Took off very little material, but seems to have made a difference in starting.

Apparently even a little binding of the bendix will cause very high current to flow to the starter which drags down the battery voltage so the CDI can't fire the coil. I could see that was my problem before because I monitored the spark while cranking and only saw a fraction of a second sparking for several seconds of cranking.

Larger diameter cables help because not as much voltage gets dropped on a thicker cable with less resistance so more voltage is available for the CDI and coil. But in my case the #8 AWG cables were not enough.

I am still using the 150 CCA battery that the dealer put on the bike to replace the dead stock battery when i picked up the bike.

My bike still will not start in gear. Too much clutch drag I think.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 PM

Interesting. Do you have any photos of the process?

I am yet to take out my starter and have a look.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 AM

Sorry but no pictures. All very straightforward bolt removal and re installation process. I?ll measure the white wool dremel tool polishing pad and post later to record the proper size.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Dremel model 414 1/2" diameter felt polishing wheel

I used a Dremel model 414 1/2 inch diameter (12.7mm) felt polishing wheel dry with no polishing compound. It uses the #401 mandrel with the corkscrew looking tip.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...ing-1-2-wheels

I tried the electric starter again last night and worked fine.

I believe that polishing the bendix end cap bore on the side cover did the trick for my bike, in addition to the larger battery cables and grounds. I am still using a relatively small capacity 150 CCA battery, but I am sure that a larger capacity battery like the 240 CCA Antigravity AG-YTZ7-8 would work better and might even start my bike in gear.

Wishing all happy starting and happy trails...... Cheers, Steve
Old 03-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Images of the #8 AWG cables I installed, the Dremel tools and the ignition side cover components involved.

Process I followed:
1. Run #8 AWG cable from +BAT to solenoid.
2. Run #8 AWG cable from solenoid to +Starter.
3. Run #8 AWG cable from battery GND to starter bolt (as shown on parts diagram).
4. Repurpose old starter supply cable. Connect between side case bolt and coil mounting bracket bolt.
5. Polish #13 Bendix Cover bore to reduce Bendix drag.
Remove 2 screws #25 from Electric Starter Cover, Remove Cover.
Remove nut #29 from starter cable.
Wiggle/twist #14 Starter out of Ignition case.
Remove bolts #8 and #25 from #7 Ignition Cover.
With finger rotate Bendix and estimate drag/tightness.
Remove #9 bolts from Bendix Cover #13 on parts diagram. Remove Cover.
Clean grease from Bendix Cover bore and lightly polish bendix bore with clean dry 1/2" felt pad and Dremel tool. Don't polish too much maybe 1 minute max.
Remove and replace thin paper gaskets #28 and #23 since they generally tear upon cover removal.
Apply grease to Bendix Cover bore, Reinstall Bendix Cover to Ignition Cover and reinstall Bendix into Ignition case. Reinstall Ignition case, starter, bolts and cables.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ignition Side Cover.JPG (36.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Dremel - HiDef Cropped.JPG (72.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Battery.JPG (81.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Cables.JPG (91.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Solenoid.JPG (65.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM

I forgot that I took this video.

This is what it should feel like after the hole in the bendix cover is polished. The bigger fine tooth gear should turn effortlessly with your finger. Before polishing mine I could not turn that gear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1y8bnrAWME
Old 03-25-2019, 03:14 PM

Nice Video, thanks for adding to this thread!

When I performed that finger spinning test of the Bendix gear I did not notice any significant drag. But apparently my fingers are not calibrated very well, because after polishing the Bendix bore in the Bendix cover and freshening up the grease my starter now functions properly.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
I forgot that I took this video.

This is what it should feel like after the hole in the bendix cover is polished. The bigger fine tooth gear should turn effortlessly with your finger. Before polishing mine I could not turn that gear.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a1y8bnrAWME

Thanks for the vid. What’s the benefit of removing the ignition cover besides the finger test? Now that it’s a known issue does it make sense to forgo removing the ignition cover and go straight to the bendix cover? Polish it, reinstall and ride?

It’d save me the cost of a new ignition cover gasket.....course I’d just by 6 pack of beer with that money. lol. But still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk