Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 PM

Default Gnarly on 2018 gp 300?

Hi guys.
Could anyone tell me if the pipe that comes in the GP300 2018 is FMF GNARLY?
Thanks.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 PM

No it is not a Gnarly.

It's a GP/XC pipe on the parts fiche for the XC.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhitshard View Post
No it is not a Gnarly.

It's a GP/XC pipe on the parts fiche for the XC.
OK!
Thanks.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:05 PM

Yes it is a gnarly. I have both pipes and they are identical I?ve taken measurements around the chamber in several different spots on both pipes. The GasGas pipe is the exact same as the gnarly except it says GasGas on the side. They use the same mold. I called FMF and asked them and they confirmed it as the gnarly pipe.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
Yes it is a gnarly. I have both pipes and they are identical I?ve taken measurements around the chamber in several different spots on both pipes. The GasGas pipe is the exact same as the gnarly except it says GasGas on the side. They use the same mold. I called FMF and asked them and they confirmed it as the gnarly pipe.
Seriously?
Really?
What good news.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
That's odd, The FMF Gnarly I bought from FMF definitely isn't the same shape & weight as the FMF marked pipe on my XC (that has the same fiche part number as the GP.)

I was told by the FMF rep that the only way to get the actual pipe that came on my XC was to buy it through GasGas.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 AM

I want to take the "that's odd" part of that comment back.

Actually It doesn't surprise me much at all thinking back and realizing that I've seen XC bikes on the show room floor with pipes that looked like the EC model and EC bikes on another dealer's floor that had FMF marked pipes that appeared to be the same as the one on my XC . . .
Old 03-10-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhitshard View Post
That's odd, The FMF Gnarly I bought from FMF definitely isn't the same shape & weight as the FMF marked pipe on my XC (that has the same fiche part number as the GP.)

I was told by the FMF rep that the only way to get the actual pipe that came on my XC was to buy it through GasGas.
I think maybe the only way to get the one marked ?FMF GasGas? is through a dealer. I bent mine last summer and wanted to get a replacement so I started calling dealers and looking online. None of them had or could get me the stock pipe but they all had or could order the FMF gnarly or fatty. I started thinking it would be expensive for both FMF and GasGas for them to mold a brand new style of pipe specifically for a handful of GasGas bikes. This had me curious so that?s when I called FMF and the guy I talked to told me it was a gnarly. I ordered one and it is identical to the stock pipe besides the marking on the side. I have also read another comment online about a guy who ordered a gnarly pipe and it was different than the stock pipe on his XC. So I?m not sure exactly what could be going on. I will take some pictures with a caliper measuring the stock pipe and gnarly pipe side by side and post them to this thread later.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I think maybe the only way to get the one marked ?FMF GasGas? is through a dealer. I bent mine last summer and wanted to get a replacement so I started calling dealers and looking online. None of them had or could get me the stock pipe but they all had or could order the FMF gnarly or fatty. I started thinking it would be expensive for both FMF and GasGas for them to mold a brand new style of pipe specifically for a handful of GasGas bikes. This had me curious so that?s when I called FMF and the guy I talked to told me it was a gnarly. I ordered one and it is identical to the stock pipe besides the marking on the side. I have also read another comment online about a guy who ordered a gnarly pipe and it was different than the stock pipe on his XC. So I?m not sure exactly what could be going on. I will take some pictures with a caliper measuring the stock pipe and gnarly pipe side by side and post them to this thread later.

Being that my Factory XC pipe is physically different from the FMF Gnaryl I bought I'm pretty sure that GG is doing the same thing as KTM/Husky regarding their brand stamped pipe in that it's a thick walled Fatty shaped pipe.

The Austrians call their heavy walled, Fatty shaped expansion chambers the "Factory" pipe. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...pipe-p?v=14999

Not to be confused with the "FMF Factory Fatty" which is a "works" finish, thin walled Fatty.

Honestly, I'm getting the vibe that some GG bikes are being shipped with what ever they can grab off the stock shelf when parts are delayed or damaged at one point of shipping or another.

If that's the issue I get it: GG and the dealers gotta do what they gotta do to get units on the floor and out the door.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:11 PM

The XC pipe looks identical to the Gnarly when it’s laying on the floor. They have VERY different power characteristics though. I would have bet a paycheck that they are the same until I rode with the Gnarly. It has noticeably more bottom end and signs off much earlier than the stock XC pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk