Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Unhappy Marzocchi 45 (ec200 sixd 2011) could be better!

The only think it could be better in this otherwise wanderfull bike, is its fork.
Does anyone has an idea in what could be done to improve it?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasn101 View Post
The only think it could be better in this otherwise wanderfull bike, is its fork.
Does anyone has an idea in what could be done to improve it?
There are countless threads on this subject here, try a search. These forks are easy to work on and there are good gains to be made very easily at no cost if you do it yourself. Some simple valve stack changes will provide good results. I don't think it's right to single out the fork though, rear set up is just as important and especially balance between the front and back.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:52 AM

What do you think is not right about single the fork? This is widely known and highly discussed subject. Although the shock can certainly make things worse if not properly set up there is no reason to assume the rider has not ruled that out.

I do agree that there are countless threads on this subject and a little research will gain you big results. The key is will you be doing it yourself or having someone esle do it. DIY is a not a big deal if you have some tools and general understanding of what you are getting into. Big improvements can be made with out spending too much money.

Proper spring rate
Lighter oil or lower oil height
Spring preload.

Shock: sag, spring rate, rebound adjustment.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Yes, you are both right.
The think is I tried a search first and got lost.
Too much to read, too much to learn for a beginner like me.
Well, I agree I HAVE to learn most of them but, since then I will not have a fine-tuned suspension.
Also, yes, the problem lies on the fork. It just is too stiff, that its killing me.
DIY for me is not an option, I just don't have the time and knowledge for this.
For the moment at least.
I asked in case there is something standard to do to these forks (something that everybody does) when riding in places like mine.
I was hoping for something like:
"Change the OEM spring with this, or this, or this depending on your weight"
"Put this oil, up to that much..."
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM

All of those things are DYI though. Therefore there is some confusion about what you need.

If the fork is stiff it is either too much compression dampening, too stiff of springs, and/or too heavy of oil.

Cheapest experiment: 5 wt oil at 130mm oil or air chamber height. Play with the clickers.

If you are confused I will try and help via the phone. I am not what some people consider an expert but I won't BS you either. 208-880-6885. We all start somewhere and little help is all you asking for.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Ok, I'm having lunch and sitting here- I'll bite.

The fork. Lots to do, but it can be almost magic. The Marzocchi fork is a nice piece, just needs tuning. But it needs tuning everywhere. The compression valve, the compression stack, the rebound valve, rebound stack, midvalve, fluid, spring and definitely proper assembly. We've had great results with the fork.

The shock. The Ohlins shock is a great piece of kit, but it, too, could use some love. Typically a spring for sure AND valving inside regardless of the spring- at least for around here where it's actually rocky. Maybe if it's all smooth it wouldn't make so much difference, but here for sure. Again, great results with the shock, it just needs to be tuned properly.

Hope that helps shed a little light on the subject.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Thank you all for the help.
Since I live in Greece you whould all agree that it whould be dificult to use services from the US.
I have to agree though that there is a possibililty that the pain I have on my hands could be from the vibrations and not from the suspention.
I can accept that I'm not the best rider and I do drive with my body in the wrong possition. This should be the case with my previous bike also, but I wasn't.
The previous bike (wre125) had VEERY soft suspention. It also had rubber vibration absorbers in the top clamp holes.

Any ideas as how to recreate this, or something similar?