Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default xc300 parts combo?

Well i'm about 99% sure I will be owning a newer{ 12/13} 300 soon. My question is: how are they for revving out? I like to put my bike in 1 gear and leave it there, so 2nd most of time and a little bit of 3rd.

Is there a good combination of parts to make it more mid/top power? head mod/pipe/porting{ by who?}/ etc. . Or will I find out, that's how a stock 300 is? Do I need a flywheel weight? Rekluse? Or do I switch over to a rb modded head on a 250 cylinder kit?
I have to set this bike up right from the start, since I plan to ride a lot more offroad this year. Sell my Harley, and concentrate on riding offroad

I may be a bit early to be asking about this stuff, but I like to work out my plan's in advance

Thank you

Last edited by adv rider; 11-11-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv rider View Post
and concentrate on riding offroad: transition, or giant
Those have pedals...don't they? My favorite gear combo is 2/4
Old 11-11-2013, 07:54 AM

Jetting and silencer will help the bike rev out. I have a 2011 300, and the Q-Stealth (stock) pipe didn't help the upper revs. I installed a Leo Vince silencer and the top end opened right up and allowed me to carry an extra 500-1000 RPM on the trails with existing jetting, thereby eliminating having to short shift. I am now getting ready to install a Lectron carb, but I am certain that the Keihin can be jetted to bring the top end alive.

Regarding having the head shaved, that is a good place to start as proper squish will help provide consistent jetting results.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 AM

I think the key to carrying a gear longer is to stick with the 48 rear sprocket. In order to pull that off you may consider a flywheel weight, power valve chamber, and either Jacobi jetted specs or a smart carb. Haven't done the head mood but that would be advisable as well.I do almost everything in second. I will hit third at times in the woods but I am moving pretty fast at that point.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM

Default 300xc revving

Thanks for the ideas. A silencer change, FW weight, and head mod seems like a good start, possibly. But if I did go down to 250, will that affect the head mod?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM

If you like to do the 2nd/3rd thing...stick wtih the 300
Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 PM

I had an 07ec250 gasser completely stock that would rev out great until I rebuilt it with a 300 top end. The bottom end was stronger but it killed the over rev and just wasn't nearly as much fun to ride until I sent the carb and head to RB designs. Ron Black worked his magic and the over rev was back along with more bottom. I do believe his work on the carb was mainly responsible for the added top end. With 13/49 gearing that bike would run 80-85mpr and cruise easily at 50-55. I will add that the bike did have the 2k3 ignition (bigger, heavier coil)
Old 11-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
Jetting and silencer will help the bike rev out. I have a 2011 300, and the Q-Stealth (stock) pipe didn't help the upper revs. I installed a Leo Vince silencer and the top end opened right up and allowed me to carry an extra 500-1000 RPM on the trails with existing jetting, thereby eliminating having to short shift. I am now getting ready to install a Lectron carb, but I am certain that the Keihin can be jetted to bring the top end alive.

Regarding having the head shaved, that is a good place to start as proper squish will help provide consistent jetting results.
Agree with this.
STEP 1 : remove Q Stealth and bike will rev
Old 11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to a 250 you'll need a 250 head to match the cylinder. I personally prefer the 250 over the 300. They'll both rev if you set them up to, and its more a function of port timing and compression ratio (determined when setting the head up), than the actual engine itself.

The issue for me was that a reasonably well (read not perfect) 300 had too much in the low to mid for me to push it aggressively without wearing myself out. If you like to hold a gear the 300 will be great. The 250 seems to work better the harder you push it, which includes clicking through the gears.

First stop set the ports using base gaskets for top end, then have the head machined back to where it needs to be volume and squish wise. Jet to suit and hold on tight.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 PM

Default 300 engine performance

[QUOTE=Jakobi;122289]If you go to a 250 you'll need a 250 head to match the cylinder. I personally prefer the 250 over the 300. They'll both rev if you set them up to, and its more a function of port timing and compression ratio (determined when setting the head up), than the actual engine itself.

If I had a S3 head,couldn't i swap between 250 and 300 inserts? Or Is there better performance from an RB head mod over S3 with changeable inserts?