Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 AM

Yeehaaahhh!! went for a ride today (only short as I live in Suburbia) The Tusk CR250 fibres worked almost perfectly. I had a a very small amount of drag when I had the clutch fully pulled in and reving the engine. This may be due to the fingers on the basket needing touching up with a draw file as they are a bit Notchy or could be that Im using Mobil1 5wt synthetic, Dunno but down a couple of fire trails fully cranked I had no slipping or bad noises at all. By the time I got home the clutch drag was all but gone. The leaking waterpump isue was due to a worn w/Pp bearing so that was easily fixed.
Overall Im a happy camper, thanks for the tips and info parted onto this choice Forum.

Ollie

Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Default huh I wonder....

Great thread, thx to everyone.

Since I bought my gasser my enduro-ized '05 CRF450R has been sitting dormant in my garage. I bought one of the last Revloc dynarings for this CRF the week Revloc shut their doors. This thread got me wondering if it would fit. Well, the Barnett clutch kit for my CRF is the same part number as the one stainlesscycle references for the CR250R. AND I tried the frictions/steels from the Honda and the steels are exactly identical to the gasser but the frictions are a little wider (measure 3mm CRF instead of 2.78 Gasgas) I will have to try the Revloc in the gasser and see if I can get it working.

Glad to hear the tusk kit works, that's what I have been eyeballing. I will have to get the Suzy washer.

My only question is for stainlesscycle: If I did the math right, you have 7 frictions and 6 steels. In my 2007 EC300 I have 8 frictions and 7 steels (I have counted numerous times!) and my stack height measures an avg of 32.5mm thick. Any idea why so different?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks! great info! I was wondering if I could use a cr clutch as gasgas has other parts for cr that fit..
Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

I'm still waiting to see if the cr rekluse exp will work in the gasser.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

I thought there was another clutch thread where someone used a cr rekluse and it worked, maybe it was on thumpertalk
Old 04-25-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Honda autoclutch works in the gasser - here's proof

I dropped the Revloc autoclutch (dynaring) (out of '05 CRF450R, made for the '02-'11 models) into my '07 EC300 this week. It works. Beautifully. And Yes, the clutch lever still works normally. You have to create the gap so that it is just right, which isn't hard to do, but takes some tinkering with different thickness washers. Too thin/narrow of a gap and the bike will pull too hard at idle. So start narrow and progressively make it thicker/wider (the gap) and get the bike to have just a tiny pull at idle, and drive with just slight throttle. This will make clutch engagement prompt and maximize life. But make the gap too big and the autoclutch won't engage the clutch pack/pressure plate, and you will have to rev up high to get the autoclutch to engage (this would worsen slipping, wear, and heat generation). Once you understand this simple principle of the autoclutch, creating the perfect gap is not something nebulous, but the response you want from your clutch.

If you do this mod with a drop in autoclutch, make the gap adjustment (with washers) on the OUTBOARD side of the throwout bearing (the THIRD way to adjust gap that I mention in the first video). It is just much easier.
Also I just put new clutch springs in (stock from Gofasters). The old ones were sacked out. If you do this mod, you want firm clutch springs.

Installation video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqKrh8fmZk

Testing video:
http://youtu.be/VXHHjnhIU3U

Comments from anyone else that has done this install? Or that hasn't done this mod for that matter?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:43 AM

This Should Be A Sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
ok, i figured i'd put all the data in one place.

cr250r clutch pack conversion:

stock gg friction plates: 2.85mm (some are 2.9mm)
stock gg steel plates 1.5mm

use honda cr250r 1994-2007

cr250r friction plates 3mm
cr250r steel plates 1.5mm

cr250r plates, clutch stack height = 30mm
gg plates, clutch stack height = 28.95mm

no mods need to be done to use cr250r steel plates.

to use cr250r clutch friction plates:
you can mill the inner clutch hub spacer (gg #ME25632011). You want to mill the one between the hub and the basket (not the one behind the basket) to between 1.80mm and 1.95mm (stock is 2.8mm - 3.00mm depending on year?) thick - mine is 2mm - and it drags slightly. i fixed this with 2 stock gg friction plate in the mix. you can adjust the clutch drag by mixing and matching stock and cr250 frictions. with bike running or not, hot or cold, i can put bike in gear, pull clutch and push bike around....with stock clutch, it would drag badly, and would not allow this. keep in mind there's a fine line between dragging and slipping. if your stack height gets too thin, it will slip. but when it's just right it's perfect...

if you don't want to mill the spacer, i believe suzuki part #08211-22423 is already 2mm thick (confirmed 2mm thick by bitoman) kawasaki also has a clutch spacer about 2mm thick. do some research and you will find it.

other options:
get thinner steels from rekluse. this is more expensive than using a complete cr250r clutch pack.

if you do convert to cr250r clutch, be nice and make sure you paint marker 'cr250r' inside the clutch cover so the next guy who owns your bike doesn't end up scratching his head when his brand new gg clutch pack won't work...

dragging clutch solutions:

lighter oil - i use amsoil 0w-40 and maxima mtl xl (75w) - both work nicely. i have been told fully synthetic atf is even more slippery, and may help dragging..but atf has no shock modifiers as far as i know...

lower your stack height - if you clutch stack is 29mm or more, it will drag - not enough free space when clutch is pulled. you can decrease your stack height by using thinner steels - rekluse sells them - it only takes .1 - .2mm less or so to go from dragging to slipping.... try one 1.4mm steel first and see if it works..

check your hub and basket for wear on the fingers/grooves. if there's wear you can draw file them smooth - this only works once or twice - after that too much material is gone and the clutch will chatter/break plates

check your steel plates - any warpage can cause drag.

Squealing/Chirping clutch

as shown elsewhere, there are at least 3-4 different baskets - http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8486

i found on my inner hub, that there were only 6 holes drilled in it. not 18 like the one pictured in link above. i drilled 12 additional holes, and my clutch is significantly smoother/easier to slip/and makes absolutely no noise.

other stuff:

make sure your cush drive inserts are not worn out, and no rivets are missing. there should be no play between the primary gear and the basket... i drilled my rivets out and tapped in new screws instead of rivets. i used grade 8 5x14 button head sockets, that i screwed in from the backside of the basket.. and at least blue loctite them....

if you are breaking clutch plates, there's a couple of possible reasons - jim senegal suggests using fsr450 springs (heavier). other reasons could be worn out friction 'fingers' leave much gap and hammer away at basket fingers, and using friction plates that have worn too thin.... if you break a plate, the plate pieces will migrate to the lowest spot in the case, which is under your shift selector scorpion - and you will not be able to shift down......

i'm sure there's more questions, but these are the ones i keep seeing come up..
2005 RM65
Old 10-21-2013, 10:29 AM

See post #42(link below) fo specs on using a CR clutch pack with a Gasser Rekluse EXP.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...t=15126&page=5

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 PM

I just did the conversion using the Tusk Clutch Kit for a 2000 cr250, special washer and Maxima MTL 75w lightweight oil. The best $87 I ever spent.
Now she can pull the front up in all gears.
2005 RM65
Old 03-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Does anyone know why Rekluse does not make a specific EXP 2.0 or 3.0 Ring for the Gas Gas, if these little fixes is all it takes? My understanding before this thread, was the Gasser basket couldnt take the auto clutch abuse.
2009 450EXC Sold to Rapid Dog EURO Factory Anti-Hop slipper clutch, GPR V4, Akropovic Full Ti Exhaust, 2013 suspension and wheels.
2009 300XC
2005 525 MXC
2000 WR 400
1996 XR 600
1987 CR500
1990 KX500