Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 2002 XC300 Baseline settings

I am getting ready to dial in my suspension. I am using advice from this page and want to know where to start with "nominal" clicker settings.

43mm WP forks, allegedly valved by ESP. LTR replaced the fluid and seals a couple of rides ago, but said that the right base valve was so seized that he didn't want to remove it and damage the forks. Ohlins shock rebuilt/serviced by my road race suspension technician. Shims were broken so Barry simply replaced one-for-one on the shims. Don't know what the stack is, maybe I should drop him a note.

Anyway, I want to know a good "baseline setting" to start twiddling knobs and such. Any suggestions? I will say that I know absolutely nothing about off road suspension, having spent my last ten years working on road race stuff. I have a friend that can tell between single clicks of rebound on his WR400, but I am lost before I even start. In summary, keep it simple. I like simple.

Last edited by pscook; 06-02-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I can't believe it's been a year and I still have NO idea what I'm doing with my suspension. As part of my annual service, I have stripped the bike down and cleaned everything. That means that I pulled the shock spring and cleaned everything up and am ready to put it together. Here's where I need some advice-

Spring- it's a 5.0 spring. I weigh 160 without gear (verified this morning, lowest weight since, well, let's just say since the Transformers were still a cartoon. originally my preload was set at 14mm and sag was whatever it was that was in the range. As I have the bike in pieces (and I lost 23 lbs since I got the bike), I might as well set a new baseline. Do I set the preload as mentioned for the Sachs in the sticky, or do I aim for a different target? Is my spring appropriate for my weight? Medium C/slow B rider and RaceTech recommends a 5.1.