Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Upgrade or replace 2002 XC300?

I am in the middle of cleaning/rebuilding my 2002 XC300. I really want a new bike, but I don't want a new bike. I know that my '02 is a great bike, but I just don't know how much better the modern bikes are. So, I am asking for help. As an aside, I have a coworker who may be interested in my bike, so I might be selling and looking for a replacement. If I were to replace/upgrade, what model/year should I look at? My price range is ~$4000, so a new bike is pretty much out of the question. I am kicking myself for not picking up Brent's roller and fixing it up. Kick kick kick!

Anyway, what differences would I see moving from a 2002 to a 2007/2009 or a 2010/2011? Which year/model should I avoid (have read a particular fork is to be avoided)? I am a mid C/B rider (depending on the size of the group) and I have ZERO idea of how to pay attention to suspension, so good suspension is pretty important (I don't want to buy a bike for $4k and then have to drop $1k on tuning).

The correlated question would be, "How hard/worth it to bring the 2002 300 up to modern spec?" Is it a simple (ha) question of doing a SSS front end conversion? Assume my bike is worth $2k, if I spend another $2K on upgrades will it be "as good as" a newer bike?

Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default My far from professional opinion

I'm a c-b rider can't always keep up with the a riders but slower guys cant keep up with me. My bike is an 01 300 .I mostly ride slow singletrack lots of rocks & roots & roots & rocks with some trees thrown in to keep you awake . Had an 04 06 07 Sold them all and still have my 01. Its my favorite bike It was the best bike I had ever ridden when I got it and to me it still is. I think people get caught up in newer has to be better. I know its a wash -a better bike can make you a better rider-thats if its actually a better bike for you. Look at what guys used to do on the bikes from the 70s 80s! I cant ride that well on a modern bike.If you can, borrow someones newer model bike and see if there is a big difference.
I think If you like your bike spend some $$ & time redoing her. I think its our nature to want newer things thats the american culture in general . I am tempted by that update kit but then I think 800 bucks to make my bike shinier for a few rides.... But itd be sweet.... Til I rolled her,flipped her etc.
Good luck
Stoby
Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM

I vote update the bike you have! can be just as competitive a revalve goes a long way
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Another vote for just updating the older bike. Realistically you can get your motor and suspension to perform as good as a new bike with freshing up the motor and and revalve. Chassis have not changed enough to warrant a new purchase unless you have the money, race or ride a ton. You can update ergos and comfort features and add a ton of fun items to an older bike, i.e. Rekluse, Flexx bars, Stabilizer, etc.

My brother who has a '03 EC250 just rode a '13 KTM XCW250 a couple of weeks ago. He said the only things he noticed were the new KTM was quieter and felt a lot slimmer.

I am running a 1998 KTM 200 and ride my son's 1999 Gasgas EC200 and they are both in perfect condition with lots of updated features. I dont think I'm giving up much to a newer bike. Just rode the Shelton Enduro and finished the long course on my '98. Ran with all of the new bikes, no problem.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM

GG played with the shock length, mount, and rake over the years. The '00 - '02 had a long shock and were very fast turners. I liked my '00 a lot better than my '03. The upgrade kit has the new subframe that flattens the seating position and gives it that modern feel. I found this to be a big difference going to an '07. What also improved over the years was gusseting in the shock and foot peg areas of the frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15079
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Keep in mind if you put money into your bike you won't get back if you do sell it. If you are fine with that and like it, keep it and fix it up.

I paid $3K for my 2010 and love it but I didn't have a bike before it to consider fixing up. My last dirtbike was a 2003 KDX200 and I sold it last year. I took a little break from off-road and stuck with dual sports.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 PM

Lets be real. My vote. Upgrade and do not look back. I have owned Gassers back to 1997. From what I was told. The 2005 and up received different steering geometry etc. And is a much better bike just from that. Factor in the transmissions I believe were updated also at that time and you have a winner. If you have someone interested in your bike for a fair price, why not upgrade! $4,000 will get you a pretty decent gasser. And sometimes it is nice to have something different anyways! Good luck.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 AM

I'm third owner of my two gassers. Both are fine bikes. I'm short so after paying 1600. for the '05 I had it lowered and revalved for my height and weight and put the new Rekluse in. It is now my favorite bike. I thought I was gonna own a new Beta 300rr a month ago but Murphy threw a wrench into that plan. So now I can get back to enjoying my oldies but goodies.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 AM

Frank would love to sell you my '11 300, the suspension is already done, we weight close to the same, you know it can go and it's in your price range... If you talk to him tell him I sent you, k?