Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 PM

Default Damper tower for Scotts stabilizer - 07 EC250

I have an older bolt on damper tower (welded from 2 pieces of steel) but unfortunately it keeps slipping. Saw a new one for an Elka stabilizer (which has the same physical dimensions for mounting as the Scotts) that is way sturdier and more secure and am wondering what options are out there for Gassers?

Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have a GPR damper with the 04 RM250 clamp on mount. It clamps on pretty good but is a little flexy compaired to a weld on mount.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM

One reason I tried a sub mount was to eliminate flex from the long towers. I have the latest Scotts (BRP) tower. Single M6 clamp bolt design. The older 2 bolt (M5) tower was actually for a YZ but happened to fit a GG, but the clamping area is inadequate. The new tower is much better, but for added security, I drilled and tapped each side for M5 and added a setscrew and jam nut. Zero slippage, but I have slightly bent it once, where the 2-3mm thick steel attaches the tube to the clamp ring. With a sub mount no issues, your set.

I'm going back to a top mount because I do not like the high bars, so I either have to weld and reinforce my cut down tower, or buy a better one.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM

I wonder if the Motosportz tower would work with the Scotts damper? Looks like a nice tower and either over or under bar models are available. Just a thought....

Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM

Looks like it might fit, but I'm not too stoked on that pinch system. Looks awkward to tighten in a hurry (Looks like I'd have to remove the front number plate).
Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 AM

That pic may not be of a GG tower, the one I saw was a one piece ring, single pinch bolt design like the Scotts.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
That pic may not be of a GG tower, the one I saw was a one piece ring, single pinch bolt design like the Scotts.
Yup, you are correct Glen. The Gas Gas tower is a single bolt clamp.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 AM

It doesn't matter anyway, Kelly just got back to me and he will not sell the tower separately.

I'm going to design my own tower, screw it.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:11 AM

Glenn, try to find an Elka tower and base the design off that. My buddy Cory (Graffunder - see 09 EC300R test) has an Elka damper and post on his KTM and the setup is awesome. He said the Elka has the same mounting dimensions as a Scotts damper, so now I'm just trying to find out what the diameter of the head tube is on the 09 KTMs to see if it will fit my Gasser.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 PM

I'm thinking similar to the Motosportz tower, but instead of the tower just bolting to the flat clamp surface, I'll counterbore the clamp a few mm for a press fit and added strength, that way your not just relying on the bolt. Maybe just weld it and be done. I'll sketch something up soon and see how much $$ the local machine shop wants. I also have a top mount damper plate to be made, goes over the top of the bar clamps or in my case Bike Bonz handguard mounts.

The Scotts puts a lot of stress on towers from the high speed circuit locking up. Especially mine since I run the high speed damping up and low speed down. I broke two old style (YZ) towers and bent a new one. This is what I like about the Scotts though, it saves my ass in the rocks.

If your only issue is slippage then just add the setscrews, works great. The short sub mount towers are much less prone to flex and bending. Too bad I just hate the high bars.