Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Handlebar mounting position

I was mucking around looking for something to "improve" on my bike the other night. I decided to fiddle with my bars. I noticed that the clamps with the T shaped bolts are actually off set, thus providing, with the 2 holes in the top TC, 4 different mounting positions. It occurred to me that as I shifted the bars further forward, away from the steering stem, the "shape" of the arc the bar ends took was changing. It started developing a "sideways swing" component. A few little test rides on a nearby hill proved the steering felt heavier, the further forward the bars were mounted.
So, here is a little brain teaser for you - say you centralise the steering, then measure from each end the bars to the central seat hold down bolt. Note that measurement. Now mount the bars furthest rearward, and then furthest forward, each time, keeping the bar ends in the same relative place (the measurement you took) by rolling them in the clamps. With me so far? Now, when turning from lock to lock, will the shape of the arc change, or will it stay the same? Is it important? Do you think you feel this as you ride?
I think it may be significant because it may be causing you to move your shoulders and perhaps upper body to accommodate this "swinging arc".
Of course, for most of us, it's a bit academic because the front most hole seems to offer the best feeling ergos - the rear holes make the bike feel cramped.........but it's got me wondering......

Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 PM

Well, after a sleepless night, like the constipated mathematician I worked it out with a pencil. (and a bit of cardboard). It turns out I was fooling myself - the shape of the arc can not change. It only changes in size the further away you get from the pivot point (steering stem). Obvious really.
Maybe I should start a thread on rake and trail - that's always good for the brain cell(s)...
Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM

On past bikes, I've set the center section of the bars directly over the steering stem. This provides the greatest turning leverage and I reduce the effect by using a heavy setting on the steering damper. Seems to provide the best steering accuracy for me. I have no idea how this will play out when I try it on a GasGas.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 PM

On a suggestion from a riding buddy I rolled the handle bars back a bit on my husky ... damned if it did not improve my ability to feel what was going on with the front suspension. I've always run my bars as far forward as possible. I was wondering about moving them back and then playing the position a bit
Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 AM

The standard HEBO bars have very little back sweep - very trials like. I find if I roll them too far forwards I get sore points or even blisters on the outside of my palms (I don't wear gloves - would you caress a beautiful woman with gloves on? ). If I roll them too far back I get arm pump plus it just feels bad.
The golden rule was always, no matter the bend, keep the grips parallel with the ground.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:09 AM

I've had some hand problems and follow your golden rule, but the more sweep in the bend(not less) the greater the upward angle of the bar ends get as they are rotated forward in the clamps. Usually if you have hand blisters, soreness on the outside of your palms and your grips are worn more on the edges its an indication of a pressure point from bars with too much sweep being rotated forward. I agree the Hebo bars are nice and straight, very much like the KTM SX bend Renthals I have on mine now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchatt View Post
The standard HEBO bars have very little back sweep - very trials like. I find if I roll them too far forwards I get sore points or even blisters on the outside of my palms (I don't wear gloves - would you caress a beautiful woman with gloves on? ). If I roll them too far back I get arm pump plus it just feels bad.
The golden rule was always, no matter the bend, keep the grips parallel with the ground.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Now look here Bchatt,don't you go confuzin us simple biker folk south of the Bombays.Bars are there to stop you slippin' off the back & catch your balls when goin' over the front,not a triganomical Pythagorian equation to solve!
Saying that,I moved my bars into the forward hole & it feels much better.However,I did have them rolled forward to open up the cockpit(this was before I realised they were adjustable) & after reading your post ,I may have too much roll forward.Will give it go.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Iv got 2 gasgas' and on one of them the bars are in the forward position, and the other they are in the reward position.
Damned if I can tell the difference.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobi View Post
Iv got 2 gasgas' and on one of them the bars are in the forward position, and the other they are in the reward position.
Damned if I can tell the difference.
You would if they were on the same bike, the front wheel comes up easier on the rear mounted bars.