Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

The price of the Gassers was one of their biggest selling points! I can see how it causes concern having to pay more.. but the company also came from some financial hardship. Obviously the old model was wrong in many ways.

How well can you negotiate? My experience has shown room to move from RRP in most cases with this brand, but the same could be said with Beta when I enquired to how cheap I could get one too.

Some dealers will throw in extras, or exchange parts as their is often more mark up/profit margin on them. You may be able to get a few essentials and tyres of your choice added in the deal for much less than RRP on those items alone.

The main issue with the GG is depreciation. No one wants to pay more up front, cause you've got diddley squat chance of seeing it back when it's time to move it. Other brands are more in demand, with a greater used market to push prices up and keep costs down. It'll take years for this to happen with Gas Gas. This is probably the biggest challenge.

$800 for the suspension alone is a score. The KYB AOS/SSS fork has a proven track record and ample information available regarding setup. They are easy to work on, and easy to find spares.. and if compared to the 48mm Marzocchis which keep eating themselves... well you'll pay more for a replacement cart than you will for a full set of KYBS.

I think given my experience over the years, I'd buy on chassis and suspension above all else. A new chassis makes it a hard call. The suspension is proven. The Sachs are harder to source parts and knowledge, and if you want a Beta with the closed carts up front you'll be forking out extra for the race model anyway. Apples to apples. Other brands you'll need to throw $800 at them just to get the stock suspension to work.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
$800 for the suspension alone is a score. The KYB AOS/SSS fork has a proven track record and ample information available regarding setup. Other brands you'll need to throw $800 at them just to get the stock suspension to work.
Those are some very good points.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 06-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Default 2018 Betas $8499.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrot NA - Mark Berg View Post
A few of you are comparing pricing on an unfair level. You are comparing 2017 Beta pricing and others against our 2018 Price. Most of the competition is behind us for a change in debut, production and pricing. Perhaps wait to see other brands pricing for 2018 compared to our GG pricing.

2018 Beta 250 and 300 are $8499.00.

http://www.cyclenews.com/2017/06/art...es-first-look/

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 06-14-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Sorry, my mistake. Didn't know you wanted an 18 EC250, so I put you down for one. When they arrive, what dealer shall I send it to?
Rod, I read somewhere that the 250 will only be available in the XC trim in the U.S., is that correct?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto7man View Post
2018 Beta 250 and 300 are $8499.00.
Not the factory versions and the simple ones are not to be compared with the Gassers in my opinion.

I know Beta makes really good bikes and has grown it's share on the market really well but it lacks reliability and in some things seems cheaper (plastic and stickers for example).

I really like the durability of my Gassers both the old one and the current and because many of the riders whom I ride with have Beta's I 've seen this on my own.Because I practice skills and ride a lot in the last one and half year I have to say that my plastics are still in place and my stickers also despite some of them are halfway gone. A close buddy of mine with a factory 350 2016 model fell and broke a front fender like it was nothing. The same guy after a ride we had lost his rear number plate sticker by the washing machine.
Another one with a brand new 250 2t 2017 model had problems with the oil injection and the instrument from the begging.
What I try to say is that they are really great bikes but I still prefer my Gasser.
As for pricing here in Greece the new model EC 300 racing is at 9000 euros
while Beta's 2017 is at 8650 300rr and 9400 300rr factory and the same pricing is anticipated for the 2018 models plus the added price if you want the kickstart package.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Again.....

Some people are still comparing unfairly.

The 2017 Beta Race Version 300 retailed for $8899 (they haven't stated 18 price for race version). If you are fortunate to have taken a test ride at our event you received a VIP ticket for $275 off any selection of a GG at your local dealer (first 4 test events, we are sending these VIP tickets in mail). So now your new EC300 WITH KYB suspension is $9024 against the "race version 2017 price of $8899. Do we seem far off now?

If you want to continue to compare their entry level against our latest EC or XC, then compare suspension, brake components, clutch components, and our engines that are solid.

We have 3 guys working very hard on things in the field. Rod, Jubal, Geoff are all traveling, campaigning and talking to everyone that stops by about the new GasGas company. Plus a test ride tour to get as many butts on bikes as possible! I was in PA this weekend and all ride comments were positive, price point didn't seem an issue (at least to my face) and a tons of people stopping by looking like they had never seen a GasGas. Is there a rep in your area to talk directly to about the other product like we are?

We have invested a lot of money in our infrastructure and way more to come, we are not going to cheapen our product now that it is on a very good level with the competition. For our future, and for our dealers future as well!

We can ask the factory to build an entry level inexpensive bike for next year, with lower quality braking components, suspension, plastics, etc, just like we have on the Contact Trials bike. Then you can compare the same product levels.

If still you chose another product? Congrats for you and I hope you enjoy it, plus get your kids to like dirt bikes because from what I see, there isn't much of a dirt bike future left in about 30 years or less. We are all getting old...or at least I am!

Last edited by Mark Berg - CPD; 06-14-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Is Gas Gas coming to the California Central Coast? There are several motorcycle shops that have potential in the area.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Unfair

How about discounts for gasgas forum guys = long time enthusiasts esp. where there are no test rides available. I'd of been super psyched to be able to test one. As i'm sure others would be also . I just think they are pricing themselves out of contention for non believers. KYB suspension comes standard on $7000 yamahas . It just reminds me of gasgas pre torrot , all over again, there is and has always seemed to have been one thing or another to make it difficult to own the brand. I know you guys want this to succeed and I wish you the best and I hope I'm wrong . There is a lot for GG to overcome and I think any obstacle / objection should be avoided. I hope for you guys torrot has the deep pockets and can promote the brand into a successful marque and your long term suffering is over. As for me I doubt I'll ever sell my first gasser So I'll still be here hanging around but I don't know if I'll be owning an 18 like I hoped to do. I am a cheap SOB though. But I'm also a big GG enthusiast.
Stoby
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 PM
Site Sponsor

I am done...spoken too much already!

Best of wishes to everyone! Happy and safe riding to all.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slodrew View Post
Is Gas Gas coming to the California Central Coast? There are several motorcycle shops that have potential in the area.
It would be a tough market being that Beta North America is based in Paso Robles. We've already seen 2 KTM dealers fail in this area (yet there's still more KTM's than Beta's at local events.) Most riders around here are either on dual sports, or still riding mx bikes. Beside's my own, I've only ever seen 1 gasser on the trails within a 100 mile radius of me. It would be really cool to see GasGas "come out swinging" on Beta's "home turf." Maybe GasGas could do a demo at one of our CCMA events, the New Year's day "Hangover" ride at Pozo pulls in a pretty good crowd.