Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlh View Post
I love my 2001 GasGas XC300, However I've put a lot of miles on it and its time for a new bike. I'm tried of fixing things and even though I can still get parts sometimes they substitute parts for newer years like my airbox. I had to get a new one after a tree branch harpooned the original now it doesn't fit right anymore. I have to remove the subframe every time I touch the carb other wise I have gaps around the carb to airbox mount. As it is my carb to Reed valve rubber connector is dry rotting and its not listed as a spare on any of the websites, the part is there with no price which means to me its not available. Just finished new bottom and top end last year.

Looking for a new bike but no solid dealers that are close to me and the dealers I've found don't show any current year stock. This tells me they will likely leave the brand soon.

Probably

I live in the North Eastern part of the USA live in NY and ride in PA. I'm really leaning towards KTM now. Hate to switch as I know my Gasser handles way better. Worst experience is last year I bought all new plastics and Graphics, I had to purchase them from the uk. Unfortunately the Graphics don't fit the plastic well. Thick graphics material and doesn't conform to plastics.

I notice very few posts from this part of the USA unfortunately as good as the bike are they just don't seem to have a strong following here.

The only used ones I see are the trials bikes.

Anyone have know solid dealers in this part of the USA please let me know.

Thanks, Tim

Matto Cycle in PA has 2012 bikes in stock and 13s on the way. So does Moto Connection in VT and North's Services in westerns Mass. Gas Gas Unlimited in CT has sold out of 12s but has 13s on order. Smith Racing in western PA has 12s in stock and 13s on order. 3 Seas in western NY has one '12 with '13s on order. Out of all of the dealers we have in the NE, only two have not ordered '13s. Are you sure you checked our dealer list? www.ggor.us
It is sometimes hard to get plastic parts for a 12 year old motorcycle. Don't sassume that you can't get the carb manifold. Call Mark at Go Fasters.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Tim,

Have you tried Smiths Powersports in Imperial, PA. Rich Smith is the owner and is a great guy. I live in Texas and will only buy my parts & bikes from him.

http://www.smithspowersports.com/

You can also upgrade your plastics all the way up to a 2006 model.

Robby
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default moto connection in vermont

Met the guy from moto connection this weekend at a trials event He drove from vermont to wrentham mass. to support the riders. Seemed like a good guy + he drove 4-5 hours to attend the event and lend a hand . Might want to give him a call.
Stoby
Old 08-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Tim,

And all FYI, you CAN get the manifold coupler easily. Its a Boyesen part, same part used on the newer GG manifold as the old RAD valve. ALL RAD valves in fact. Call Boyesen in PA, it about $13 if I remember. I always swap them when I swap reeds, as they start to dry out after a couple years. A little silicone helps this though.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoby View Post
Met the guy from moto connection this weekend at a trials event He drove from vermont to wrentham mass. to support the riders. Seemed like a good guy + he drove 4-5 hours to attend the event and lend a hand . Might want to give him a call.
Stoby
If that was Scott he is a great guy and always willing to help out any way he can. Got my bike from him and he's great to do business with. He's into the sport.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM

Default 2012 GasGas Seat height

Clay, Thanks for the reply to my earlier post. You made some good points and I have since stopped at Matto Cycle and checked out the 2012's he had in stock and he told me he had 13's on the way.
My one question after seating on the 2012 is did the seat height have to be raised to accommodate taller riders? I would think this could be accomplished by offering a higher seat to fit the taller rider's.
I already am often high sided in the tight rocky ST I ride. So now and to be fair this would be with any brand bike I buy. I would have to have the suspension changed both front and rear to lower the bike which will decrease my ground clearance.
My current 01 has at least as much clearance as my friends KTM and I can almost sit flat footed on level ground. This is not meant to be a complaint but more of a question. Also I'm puzzled by the change as most of the guys I ride with are in the 5' 8" - 5' 10" range same as me. Only two of the guys that I can think of are 6' or over (@20 of us).
I do believe you are a great boast to the brand and I know that Mark at GoFasters does a good job getting parts.

GMP, Thanks for the tip on the Boyesen part.

Thanks to everyone this is a great forum, Tim
Old 08-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Tim,

My '12 is taller than my '07 but once broken in and set up its not as tall as it seems in the dealer. The shock preload is likely all jacked up making it feel worse. I'm only 5'9" as well and its not a big problem, and like you I ride some nasty technical stuff. With the sag/preload set on both bikes, I can just about flatfoot the '07 with both feet, and touch about half each foot on the '12. I don't think the bike is taller than a KTM and its certainly lower than a Husky. I wouldn't mind trying the new '13 pull rods to lower it a little, but not at the expense of steering.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlh View Post
Clay, Thanks for the reply to my earlier post. You made some good points and I have since stopped at Matto Cycle and checked out the 2012's he had in stock and he told me he had 13's on the way.
My one question after seating on the 2012 is did the seat height have to be raised to accommodate taller riders? I would think this could be accomplished by offering a higher seat to fit the taller rider's.
I already am often high sided in the tight rocky ST I ride. So now and to be fair this would be with any brand bike I buy. I would have to have the suspension changed both front and rear to lower the bike which will decrease my ground clearance.
My current 01 has at least as much clearance as my friends KTM and I can almost sit flat footed on level ground. This is not meant to be a complaint but more of a question. Also I'm puzzled by the change as most of the guys I ride with are in the 5' 8" - 5' 10" range same as me. Only two of the guys that I can think of are 6' or over (@20 of us).
I do believe you are a great boast to the brand and I know that Mark at GoFasters does a good job getting parts.

GMP, Thanks for the tip on the Boyesen part.

Thanks to everyone this is a great forum, Tim

The seat height increase came as a result of increasing ground clearance. One of the earliest and largest complaints I heard from a lot of riders on the older models was how bad the pegs and frame drug through trail junk. To get the pegs out of the rocks and roots, the frame had to have more ground clearance and that caused the seat to go higher in the air. I often hear riders tell me they liked the low seat height on the older models but they would also tell me they disliked the pegs and frame getting beat up. I think they hit a good compromise. It seems that the pegs are out of the ruts more but the seat isn't as high as the orange bike.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:01 PM

Smile

Clay/ GMP, Thanks for the quick replies. I made a bad assumption assuming that the higher seat height was to accommodate taller riders (my bad).

Tim
Old 08-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Would I buy another Gas Gas? Well, yeah, sure, except for 1 little problem...my '07 suits me so well that I don't see the need to spend the $, then spend the hours jacking around with the jetting/re-springing/re-valving/tuning the suspension/getting the ergos just right to suit me/etc. etc.

I rode my old 1 last Sunday for the 1st time in over a year & 1/2, & was amazed by it once again. I can't imagine that a new 1 w/b that much better, especially in view of the head start my '07 would have over a new 1. + I have a couple of other hobbies to feed....

I certainly DON'T miss the '07 KTM I traded for this Gas Gas, except for maybe that side-access air box....