Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 05-06-2007, 11:15 PM

Default '05 FSE won't start when its cold. AAARRRGGG!

Blast this wretched beast! When it gets cold, like below 45 maybe, it just won't start, and there are plenty of cool mornings at 8300', where I live. I had to jump start the bloody thing twice this weekend, and now after rideing home from Moab in the back of the truck, it won't start again. Any one used starting fluid on a hard starting bike? If I can't get this thing reliable, out it goes and something that starts will take it's place. I can just see sitting in the middle of nowhere with a dead bike on some of the camping trips I plan to take it on this summer. NOT! Any help out there?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Can the EFI really compensate for the reduced amount of oxygen?
Does it feel 'flooded' once you get it running?

Have you tried detaching/attaching the blue/yellow wire? Theoretically it would benefit from the leaner map at that altitude.

My '05 FSE has been out in below freezing a number of times, haven't noticed any starting issues because of that. But I live at sea level.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 AM

The EFI is supposed to compensate for the oxygen level. That is why I bought this bike. My Harley is also injected and starts on the first turn, every time, at elevations from 12,000' to 4000'. I have disconnected the yellow/blue wire and it has seemed to start better since then, but still totally unacceptable. If it doesn't start in the first couple of attempts, it is not going to start at all. I love the bike once it's running, but I am quickly losing faith in it.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM

I know it compensates for altitude - probably done via a mass airflow sensor.

I don't actually own one of these but have gathered the following from others posts - search through the posts here.

1. Do you have the fuel injection configured for the "race map" or the "lean map"? I would stick with race map. search here for which wires to unplug on the ecm to set to race mode.

2. Starting drill some say stab the starter button for short bursts to get her started.

3. Slight open throttle position helps with cold starting.

4. if it fails to start - shut it off for 15 seconds to let the ecm reset and try again.

5. The dealer can trim the fuel injection using a computer program.

You mentioned Moab. There are two good dealers in Nevada who have alot of experience with these. I know Nick at Cycle Pro races one himself... Bob at North Tahoe Motorsports also has alot of experience with the 4 stroke. I would start by giving either of these guys a call...

jeff
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks jeffd, I'll try those guys. I have done everything you have suggested except to have the dealer trim the injection. The service manager at the place I bought the bike said they had so little experience with them that they could be of little hope with problems.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post

You mentioned Moab. There are two good dealers in Nevada who have alot of experience with these.

jeff
Jeff
Not to quibble but Moab is a long ways from Nevada. Athough I wish I was in either place right now. I live in SC were the riding is almost non-existant and I used to live close to moab which I still miss.

Tim
'01 XCO250
Old 05-13-2007, 08:37 AM

Remove the exhaust cam and take .005 off of the decompressor. They dont have enough compression at cranking speed. I got this info from the engineer at GG and it has helped tremendously as we had the same cold start problems. We are at 5000 ft and it gets to freezing all but about 4 months of the year so you can see how frustrating it was for us. Nick