Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 11-09-2014, 08:18 PM

Default '05 FSE 450 died,,,,,,,,

Hi guys, a couple weeks ago it shut off when I went to take off. Fired right back up. No issues until a couple days ago. Pulled up to a stop and she shut off. Fired right back up. I did not stall her, she just shut off.

Ok, so today we go for a ride. Went about 2 miles through tight woods. Got on dirt road was running about 40 and she just shut off. Dead, would not fire back up.

Got home, still not starting. So I pulled the plug, nice color, dry, looked "fine". I replaced it with all we had... a CR8EB....I had been running a CR8E. She fired right up although she seemed to miss at the very top. It is possible I was just banging the rev. limiter.....she's always been quick to do that.

So, what do you guys think? What about the "B" on the plug type?

It was too late to go for another ride but she seems "normal". Should I replace the plug w/o one with the "B"?

Thanks, guys!
Ed

EDIT***** I did download a bunch of NGK stuff trying to find the answer to the difference in the plugs but could not make sense of it!

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!

Last edited by houndog; 11-10-2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more info!

Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 PM

Well, apparently the plug died while riding down the road. It looks normal. I replaced the CR8EB with the CR8E today just to feel good. She's not "missing", I was banging the limiter.

I'm going to use the lawn mower to check to see if it is in fact "dead".

I've never had a plug die while going down the road and never had a plug die in any 4 stroke ever.

Any thoughts on this would still be appreciated but I'm happy to report "Ginger" seems fine.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Have you checked/replaced your fuel pump relay? Common source of grief on these bikes.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the reply! No, but I can hear it spin up each time. It was definitely "zzzzzzsssinnng" when I switched the key on, every single time.

It really is hard to believe the plug, that looked perfect, just "stopped working", isn't it? I'll stick it on the lawn mower plug wire tomorrow and give it a spin to see if it really is "broke".

I do appreciate any and all speculation on this!

Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Old 12-26-2014, 08:58 PM

My plug died last week on me while driving, maybe 60km/h. Oddly enough I've never had a plug fail on a proper running stroke b4 either but apparantly it does happen. I've had a bit of a run of electrical issues as of late, so I was chasing everything, assuming the plug was fine lol. Was even still sparking, maybe just not quite as blue as I like tho. If it means anything, I ran dry of fuel about 2kms b4 the plug went.
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...tnumberkey.pdf
I don't know if this will tell you anything but I think your plug is a special design, whatever that means. For the sake of $8, I'd replace it with the proper one
Old 01-10-2015, 05:59 PM

Ok, I did find out about the plugs....they are exactly the same except the "B" does not have a removable tip on the top.

Has been running fine..........until today.....arghhhhh.....will make a separate post.
Ed

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged