Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Default How meny Rim locks

I am replacing the tube on my rear wheel. It has two wheel locks one is a bit knackerd, bits of mettal showing on the upper side.
Is this an after market mod? Should I replace it or just block the hole up?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I've had no issues using 1 rimlock and I run quite low pressures at times too. If you are going to run one just make sure its in good condition. I think some earlier models were renound for having pretty average ones stock.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

One's enough.Long as it's not the oem one.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Thumbs up

I recently went to two rimlocks. I run a Mt43 trials rear on my xr440 and run about 8 lbs. psi. We put on 140 miles of logging roads and single track one day and the valve stem was moved all the way over to one side of the whole. I also run those rubber washers/bumpers in place of valve stem nut, and this probly saved the stem from being torn.
I went ahead and installed another rim lock on my 300 rear just for good measure. I haven't had this happen with my 2t's using knobbies and a Dunlop 803.
I will be mounting a Michelin trials on an extra rear wheel using the TUbliss system when I can find a couple of spokes for the Excel rim.
Btw, I really like the Talon rim locks if your gonna replace one. I can't remember where I ordered them tho.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 PM

One is good, two or a modified single better for a trials tire. The tube shifts from its own inertia, not the tire slipping. Mark the tire and rim and you will see. This is very common with the BStone UHD tubes. The Moose HD tubes seem to be the best for durability and to avoid shifting.

Mich X-11 has a very weak sidewall, not the best choice for Tubliss. They even tear up with tubes. MT-43 is very good Tubliss. I will try another Mitas as soon as they are available again. These two have tougher sidewalls. Dunlop is next best choice.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 AM

Good info Glen. The Michelin was on sale at Rocky Mtn and the reviews were better than the Dunlop 803 as far as stronger bead. Btw it's not the x-11 (tubeless). It's the less expensive tube type. Hopefully the TUbliss will work ok with this one.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 AM

I've used them all, the Mich X-11 tube type was the first. Unless this is something new or different they were both called X-11. Very good on a trials bike because they are light and soft. Damage prone on a woods bike. Every one we had failed from a sidewall cut. IRC is similar. You can climb a wall of rocks with them but the terrain in which they work best is ultimately their worst enemy. Carry a plug kit for sure, and hope you don't cut the sidewall. When Mitas becomes available again grab one of those, I think they will be awesome Tubliss.