Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:50 AM

Default Checkpoint PV Cover and other newbie ???

More ignorant newbie ???

I have two new to me GasGas 250s (well three ) but only two of them have these Checkpoint Covers on them. Any reports on their effectiveness? I tried searching here and also Googled and didn't come up with much.

They appear to be just covers that can be easily switched? But before I go yanking it off to switch to a different bike... is there other internal stuff associated with the cover? I assume I'll at the least need a new gasket...

The PO has managed to strip out the allen heads on ALL SIX of the oil plugs They're functioning o.k. since driving an appropriately sized Torx bit in there to "cut" a new socket, but I'm wondering... are those plugs notoriously soft or was the PO just careless. IS there a better alternative than the stock plugs?

These bikes also all have FMF Fatty pipes with Turbine Core Silencers. Where does the Turbine Core fit on the Quiet scale? I'd like these things as quiet as possible.

Last one for now. I can imagine weasling some tools into the Fatty pipe to try and bang out a few dents, but is there an "accepted" or efficient way to approach this. The pipe on one of the bikes is pretty hammered...

'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website

Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpduc View Post
Last one for now. I can imagine weasling some tools into the Fatty pipe to try and bang out a few dents, but is there an "accepted" or efficient way to approach this. The pipe on one of the bikes is pretty hammered...

If you're in the Minneapolis area, you can try Jeff Olson aka "The Pipe Doctor" at 763-755-6351. He's in Andover.

Jon
Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 PM

I've had issues with the oil plugs too. I made some plugs with a 12mm hex on them. They worked really well.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

The plugs are soft, but they don't need to be overtightened.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 PM

The power valve covers are made by Matt Stavish's Dad Bill @ "Checkpoint Machine" they add to the low end power, more on a 200 less on a 300.
They are only a cover with more volume and yes you will need a new gasket.
As far as the oil plugs go DO NOT over tighten them!
The Pipe Dr. will fix your pipe up.
Go see Jack at Road Track & Trail in Anoka, Mn for GasGas parts and info.
Good Luck! They are great bikes!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:26 PM

The Checkpoint covers are LTR knock offs. Didn't make Les too happy.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:11 AM

First, It's good to see a GasGas contingent represented here and that GasGas has a good MN connection with Hyde, RT&T, GoFasters, etc.

Thanks for the "pipe doctor" info.

I'm still trying to get ahold of Jack at RT&T, he is apparently "traveling." I hope he returns pretty soon or I'm going to have to go elsewhere.

Quote:
The Checkpoint covers are LTR knock offs.
:-( Not something I would normally endorse, but they're on there so...

I thought one good solution to the oil plug thing would be to drill and tap the socket head for an appropriately sized bolt and red loctite the thing in there.
Probably a good thing to have a soft plug. Hopefully it's softer than the case to reduce risk of wrecking the threads on the case...
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P

My Website
Old 03-05-2008, 07:41 AM

Don't drill it! The plug is aluminum, with a magnet pressed in. If you drill up you will push the maget out, and it will stick to a trasmission part. Then you will have to split the cases to retreive it. Happened to someone here recently. Lay the bike down and try carefully tapping a larger Torx bit in the stripped hex, so it cuts its own teeth. That should do it.

If you use the correct o-ring on the drain plug and just snug it a little past the contact point you will never have a problem. It will not come loose yet you can remove it one handed with a long hex key. I never stripped one in 100s of oil changes on three bikes. My older GGs came with o-rings, my '07 with a copper washer. I use o-rings on both the drain and fill plugs.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Don't drill it! The plug is aluminum, with a magnet pressed in.
Ha-ha, that would have been good... but I wonder if the perpetrator could have fished that magnet out of there with rare earth magnet a little bigger than the one in the plug. I sure would have tried that before splitting cases.

I wasn't planning on doing it on the bike. I meant on a drill press once the plug was out.

Quote:
.... tapping a larger Torx bit in the stripped hex, so it cuts its own teeth. That should do it.
That's what I did. You maybe missed that in my first post.

I noticed in the parts list that the drain plug got an o-ring and the filler got a copper washer and I could not figure any rationale for that arrangement. Kinda backwards from other bikes I've had. I was wondering if it was a misprint... O-rings on both sounds good to me. Thanks.
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P

My Website
Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM

A large volume power valve cover was available before Les started making them. Any competent machinist can make one based on the stock power valve cover.

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)