Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 02-17-2024, 12:59 AM

Default Stark Varg Enduro Ride

I just watched this and it seems ok but I don't think I would want to ride around on something that sounds like an electric blender in your kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDDHwSaz1Rs

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar

Old 02-17-2024, 03:00 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I røde a Stark Varg a few weeks back. Only for 5 minutes, though. In the Norwegian winter, using studded tires. I liked it!
My biggest concern is battery capacity. However, on the video it says that they actually rode 3.5 hours and that would be sufficient for my use

Sent fra min YAL-L21 via Tapatalk

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 02-17-2024, 11:42 AM

I don't like electric but not just because they are electric per se.

My problem with them is that they are way too quiet. Too quiet equals run ins (ie; scares and crashes) with other user groups which will lead to more negative views of dirt bikers and close down even more areas to us. Then add in the very high likelihood of running in to wildlife because they don't hear you coming. That don't sound like that big of a deal until you hit something big enough to send you flying over the bars or, even worse, come up on a dangerous animal like a bear and her cubs.

To me, electrics should stick to the track.
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 02-20-2024, 12:57 AM

Default Too Much Stealth?

I agree, I just ran upon a young black bear in Ocala National Forest two weeks ago. He was still about 25 yards away then he panicked with the sound and took off into the trees like his butt was on fire.

If I had been on an electric bike I would have been right on him before he knew I was there.......no bueno for us both.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 02-20-2024, 09:59 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Okay, I'll be "that person"...

Personally I want a quiet bike and am looking forward to the time that electric motorcycle ranges will be enough for me to go trail riding here in Colorado/Utah. I doubt that will happen in my lifetime, however.

As for being too quiet for others and wildlife, it's my opinion that will not be a problem. On some very long and steep downhill trails, I kill my motor to save gas and coast down the trail. The tires on the trail, the chain slapping their guides, and the fenders vibrating make plenty of noise. Throw into that the whirring of an electric motor at a higher frequency sound that animals may pick up, it's possible they could be more aware. I've come across most animals here while riding and some go running, and some don't. As for encountering other humans, it's my responsibility for riding in control and looking out for others so my lack of an ICE motor won't change that...Especially for hikers and equestrians. The fact that they may not be doing the same for me is out of my control and, in my experience on crowded trails here, an ICE motor will not make any difference due to the terrain we ride. I am almost always the trail lead here and I encounter oncoming riders EVERY ride and I always see them before I hear them (not too surprising as the loudest exhaust notes are behind the oncoming riders). When I encounter hikers and horses, I come to a complete stop and communicate with them how to proceed. Most say they didn't hear us and are very appreciative of our courtesy.

These are my opinions and I realize everyone has those among other things...I love my 2 strokes and will never get rid of them. But that doesn't mean there won't be room in my garage for an electric motorcycle that can comfortably go a 100 miles if it will ever exist. Oh, and I am not a believer that e-cycles will help with keeping riding open...Mountain bikes are being targeted here in CO as are e-bikes. E-bicycles are already classified like motorcycles in most places in CO and restrictions are growing rapidly.

Good day!
2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:30 AM

Default Electric Bike in an Offroad Race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blazzjSgzG4

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 02-24-2024, 03:06 PM
Administrator

It looks pretty smooth in that mud.

The thing that impresses me most is the torque figure. Like 10X a gas powered mx bike... 700 ft lbs of torque. And that is probably from zero rpm and completely linear...

Looking on line at various videos - aggressive off road riding can give you 30-40 minutes of riding and 15-20 miles range. That is like leaving for a ride with 1/4 tank of fuel on a traditional gas powered bike.... and after you exhaust the battery - 4 hours to charge.... Doesn't leave alot of time for actually riding....

The lack of noise has an upside and a downside... Folks can't hear you coming (downside) - but you can hear them coming at you (upside)...

It is a great jump in technology - looks like we need another leap in battery technology - weight and capacity - before it is ready for prime time.

That being said - with 80hp max and 700 ft lbs of torque - that can't help but put a smile on your face. I see that most set programming to 60hp for fast mx to have it usable... But that torque - oh my....

jeff
Old 02-25-2024, 10:18 PM

Default Chris Birch on a GasGas EMTB

To make everything that much more complicated.......

Chris Birch Tearing it up on a GasGas Electric Bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hLazm4GXBQ

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 03-09-2024, 10:09 AM

Default Vintage RM 125 Install Electric Motor on 2 Stroke Cases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQpg-d5O-I

―Comedian Lewis Black

-Unknown Sardaukar