Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Riding Techniques & Training

Riding Techniques & Training Increase Riding Skill, Physical and Mental Training, Weight Loss.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiidirtrider View Post
I just read this whole thread and actually I think I should be listening to you bowhunter.. You have seat time and you cross train riding mountain bikes . You watch videos to learn and then it's back to the most important part.. seat time. Thanks guys.. I've got a bad cold and I hurt my knee a couple of months ago and haven't ridden. This thread is an easy reminder of all the stuff I think most of us already know but just need a reminder.. A simple list written down and thinking what you do and what you don't do is a great one. ..and I think this thread is just that . It's a list. bowhunter sounds like you are doing fine just doing what you are already doing to get better. One of the main ones is riding with guys that are faster than you ..then riding a long time and then riding often. You watch some vids and you have decent fitness from riding mountain bike. I think I just have to do what you do
Thank you, for the compliments. I REALLY enjoy riding. Now that my kids are grown, I have lots of free time. My wife hasn't said a word about my frequent riding(I bought her a hay burner, oops, horse). Several of us are heading for the snow line, this Sat. I think riding in snow is fun... others, not so much

Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM

Back when I learned everyone sat down much of the time, only standing for the rough stuff. Clutching a lot wouldn't work, unless you felt like buying clutches every ride. Brakes? What were those? Suspension? Well, I think worked surprisingly well if you had a Euro bike (considering).

After getting back into dirt bikes and riding with one particular endurance racer, I realized how well the standing all the time worked. I used to stand just and inch or two- I still feel better in control there, but can't do it very long.
Now I stand up almost all the time and really like it. I don't care much about going really fast anymore, but like a brisk pace.
I took a Shane Watts School last year in Lebanon, OR. It was great!
Lots of stuff I was already doing, but he pointed it out and why. Some I don't do for personal reasons (I ride on the balls of my feet rather instep like he says- it is more work, but I feel better balanced, my feet are a bit more protected and I have a LHRB anyway).

He doesn't think much of LHRBs, trials tyres or Rekluse clutches. I understand why. But for me, they all work great.
I don't want to ride like him (ever see an x-ray of his torso?) but most of the excersices were extremely useful.
The 'grinding' took me a bit, but it was sure fun once I got it! He also pushed you out of your comfort zone.

One of the things I need to work on, standing during nasty hills. I still tend to sit. I make the hills, but still need to learn balance for traction etc when standing. It is not uncommon to be just tapping the front wheel along, doing little 4" wheelies- to keep traction. Especially in a nasty rut. I have many years of just leaning my upper body back and forth for balance, learning to move the lower body when standing is a new skill.
Plus those hills have lots of turns, trees, roots etc- so no way I want to blast up them. The consequences for goofing up is too great.

My riding buddies say I'm no fun to watch ride anymore (I used to just blast through stuff, bike all over the place) but I am a lot more in control and smoother now.

It is all fun!
(Might head to Tahuya next weekend - my favorite place is a bit snowy -out West )

Mark
Old 12-23-2012, 04:23 PM

pscook & I rode Walker Valley, yesterday. I put in almost 2 hrs of trail time, before the rest of our gang showed. By the end, I was so gassed I definitely sat for the flat and easy. We did some tree removel which expended a lot energy for the whole group. In transfer sections I got a ton of practice sliding the bike around corners(under power), on both gravel & snow(while standing). I don't think pscook saw my 4th gear stand up wheelie...I had a little too much weight rearward, when I pinned it. I don't think I've ever stabbed the rear brake lever that hard for any reason...what a rush! One thing I learned, yesterday...Hooligan riding in the snow is FUN!

*pscook & I both had cameras neither of which were used*
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post

*pscook & I both had cameras neither of which were used*
Next time, I promise, the camera will be mounted and used. I was so excited to ride I even forgot my water pack at the truck.

I stood the entire day (2.2 running hours) and realized that I was not even half as tired as I would normally be. The only point that need to address is being able to clutch up and zap over an obstacle while standing. I tend to take my fingers off the clutch lever and hold on for dear life when I want to loft over something. But, like Bowhunter, I am definitely more improved with body positioning when on the bike and standing. The biggest improvement from the Wattsy class is ruts, as the second I touch one I look down the trail, stand up, and let the bike do the thinking. Look for the goal, let the bike handle the details of how to get there. If I try to change direction, or even aim for the rut, I get all crossed up. Point and shoot, worked (almost) every time.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Haha!@ Sounds fun. I seem to do the same with the camera. Either run the helmet cam and don't turn it on, or carry the digital and never bother taking it out for happy snaps. I get all caught up in just riding.

On topic for me improving my skills has come from riding with people who are a bit better or who encourage you to step slightly across the comfort line. Also when riding with a more casual or larger group where the break stops increase and the general pace is slower I'll spend more time play riding on the more challenging lines, staying up on the pegs, precision placing the front wheel into/over obsticals, jumping larger logs etc. I think this is where most skills come from. If you can work on establishing the technical base skills the pace naturally follows (to a certain extent). Some people like me will never be truly fast, but I can ride up/over/through most obsticals encountered.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
On topic for me improving my skills has come from riding with people who are a bit better or who encourage you to step slightly across the comfort line.
I agree 100%, and I'll be 1st to admit, lofting the front wheel is way out of my comfy zone. However, I've found practicing by carrying the front wheel over deep potholes is helping a lot. Snow does wonders for balance & concentration(1 tiny error, down you go).
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter007 View Post
I agree 100%, and I'll be 1st to admit, lofting the front wheel is way out of my comfy zone. However, I've found practicing by carrying the front wheel over deep potholes is helping a lot. Snow does wonders for balance & concentration(1 tiny error, down you go).
No snow here! But we get a pretty solid wet season where everything turns to slops. Ruts become hidden under a pool of water, and the pine needles and roots become as slick as ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMNDeknHhvk
Old 12-24-2012, 07:21 AM

Good info in this thread. I've been riding off road for about 2-1/2 years now. I've enjoyed it so much I ended up selling my street bikes, they were just sitting in the garage. I've got the first 2 Shane Watts dvds and need to rewatch them again. I still sit down most of the time but am trying to stand up more. Subscribed.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlt828 View Post
I've been riding off road for about 2-1/2 years now. I still sit down most of the time
Ride as often as personal(i.e. family) commitment, & your wallet allows. Once I figured out the who's who in my area, I started riding with the local enduro guys at every opportunity. Take off your seat...I still do this perodically, when out by myself(don't overdo it 'till you build some stamina, the subframe ain't very comfy to sit on). I watch lots of different vids. My biggest reason for improvement...I want to be a better off-road rider, so I dedicate the time & energy to do so. Second reason, I like riding...with a group or by myself.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on where you live I find even simple things like having a log in the back yard and just spending 20mins hopping it, doing full lock turns, working the clutch, balancing etc all just off idle at walking pace is beneficial.

I think as long as you're critical of how you ride and have a desire to improve, are open to others suggestions, willing to try (and fail), you will without a doubt improve. I don't know how long I've been riding now. Would have to be at least 5 years, even though it only feels like it was just last week.

I remember the learning curve as clear as day. The small trail trash that used to bring me undone. Locking the front brake in muddy corners and taking a dirty sample. Being intimidated by steep downhills. I see it all as part of the natural learning curve. Once the bike control skills increase you find the minds confidence grows and the intimidation and fear resides. Just keep having fun and working within your skills and they'll improve in no time.