Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > United Kingdom

Old 10-02-2008, 09:37 PM

I'm still trying to find my manuals,, I also have a book on tunning the suspension somewhere.. Tho it sounds like too light a spring,, cranked way down to the right sag.. might be throwing everything off.. Whats your weight and what springs are on yours?? fr & r??

Old 10-04-2008, 05:14 AM

The spring fitted to the rear ohlins has some numbers on it but i dont really know what they mean. they are 596-09/05 088 I weigh Just under 12 stone.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Stones?? Like big boulders or small roller rocks? LOL I dont really get the euro type weight references,, I went with a 5.4 rear and rather heavy front in my 97.. Got them off?? GMP? maybe.. The stock spring is a >.40 front and 4.6 on the rear? and was way way soft for me,, and that was when I was around 160-180 lbs.. I guess with gear probably close to 200lbs.. I'll go thru my box and see the # on the factory spring.. How tall and rough build as I have no clue what stones=lbs.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:23 PM

I am told 14lb to 1stone so that makes me 168lbs not far away from you.

My front forks i believe are stock springs
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 AM

Ok,, That would be what I weighed when I rode that bike regularly.. I've put on a few to say the least.. I'll get the #'s for you..
Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Sorry brother been away from the forum so I haven't posted anything.
I have nothing for you now but will look for my manual at home but I'm
still laughing at the stones comment from Cruiser. I'm running .42kg's up front right now since I'm at 13.5 stones give or take a pebble with no gear and need to check on the rear when I get home as well. Like Cruiser stated that rear sounds a little tight on the spring and if it's rebounding too quick would give you that bucking bronco feel when corning. As a quick test slow your rebound down almost too much and see if there is any change in the handle.
You need that rear dailed in before you want to touch the front. I beleive in my manual it states to start with the 8 - 10 mm on preload and adjust from there but if you are far off from that it couldn't be a bad starting point.
Good Luck, I will take a look tonight.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM

Talking

Thanks for that. I have been looking at some posted pictures in the gallery and came across an ohlins shock. it looked like the spring was nearer the half way notch in the thread rather than like mine which is wound fairly way down the thread. I have the shock off at the mo as i have replaced the swinging arm bearings. I wound off the preload on the shock and wound it back down to 13 mm. I think i will start again back to 8-10 as you stated.

Does any one know what the numbers on the shock mean?

Also setting the static sag looks like a time consuming task. I take it i have to set the shock then put all the sub frame etc back to gether measure up and if i need to readjust, remove subframe again adjust ?? and so forth.??

Im off out on a practice track this weekend so once every thing is set i will make a few minor adjustments and see what happens.

It would be helpful if anybody has the basic settings for the R&C for the forks and shock.

I may even drop a few pebbles for good luck!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:58 PM

Default Back to the forks

Since i had issues with my 50mm magnums last year (in the end i set every thing to baseline settings and the bike seemed perfect)

I had been practising on endo practice tracks and fields mostly flat stuff.

At the weekend i found some land where someone had made some jumps and table tops.

My problem now is that each jump (no down side ) flat landing. The forks bottom out big time, so much that it spat me off as i landed forks bottomed rebounded up as i accelerated really big off.

I know the forks are very basic compared to todays standards.

I did increase the compression and rebound by 3 clicks which greatly inproved cornering but did nothing whilst landing.

fork oil height is 140mm est.

On the compression fork i know the free bleed is excessive it does nothin for the first 3inches of compression.

I am currently looking for replacement forks (later model) if any one has any for sale,
Other than that if i raise the oil height would that help?

I know the bike is not made for motocross but it should cope with the odd jump or two.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
darren
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 PM

I meant to say also same day i rode mates YZ250 same track jumps etc and it soaked up all the landings perfect, even the buff ones!!!