Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Clutch problems on 2010 ec 300

Need advice please. My mechanical knowledge is limited
Only just got my first GasGas and when I pull the clutch in fully and put it into first gear it jumps forward slightly and stalls. If i have a bit of throttle on it won't stall. The clutch lever is adjusted to its maximum
Do I need new clutch plates or something else?

Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

1. Could be cold or too thick oil. Does it do this when warm?
2. A little surge is usual, stalling is not. How's the mixture or idle set when in neutral? Again, was the bike cold? Too low of idle/poor mixture and cold oil could combine to stalling.
3. How are the plates? Warped or worn? Notched basket?
4. Clutch lever adjusted to maximum: In what way? Is there any play between fully extended and lightly engaged? How much slack in the lever?
5. Has the bike sat for a length of time? If the bike has sat, the oil can drain off the fiber plates, causing the fibers to stick to the steels and pressure plate.

To resolve:
1. Replace trans oil with a known thickness. try 5w30 or 75w gear oil ( NOT 75w hypoid oil) or ATF. Warm up bike and report back with results.
2. Get the bike fully warmed up, test and adjust jetting and/or idle as necessary to stay running. Get it warm. Test and report back with results.
3. If neither of the two above solutions provide resolution, pull the clutch cover, pull the plates, and check for flat or overly worn plates or a notched basket.
4. If the lever travel is good, and everything else checks out above, well, I got nothing.
5. Put some hours on the bike after changing the oil and adjusting the idle and jetting. Report back with results.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

If my bike has sat for a while sometimes the plates will stick together. You can try rolling the bike a bit in gear before starting.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks guys.
Phil, won't be able to check all your ideas until the weekend and will report back on all.
Jakobi, been out on it three times now and it does it every time from cold, not sure if it does when hot as I've always had a bit of throttle on
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Administrator

From what I recall - the clutch lever should not be adjusted out it's maximum - it will prevent the system from replenishing properly and you will lose "throw".

Look on gasgas.com for an article that relates to the trials bikes...

jeff

p.s. See here -> http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/Technical/Clutch-drag.html
Old 12-18-2014, 07:13 AM

Thanks. I'll back out off a bit first
Old 12-20-2014, 10:58 AM

Sounds like you need to bleed the clutch.
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 12-22-2014, 03:55 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Hi,had this issue with my 2010 EC300 .Was fine when new then changed the oil & used Motul Trans oil(because it is the best I was told).Then when idling in gear with the clutch in,it would load up & try to creep forward & couldn't be started in any gear.I put a new clutch pack in which made no difference.Read lots of oil forums on here & started to use the lightest gear oil I could get- Rockoil lite.The clutch improved after each subsequent oil change.Maybe worth a try.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:44 PM

I have had this problem on my ktm sx125 and gas gas ec200
Both had been standing for a while.
My gasser pulled me about 20meters with the clutch pulled in then a blip of the throttle loosened the plates but it had been standing for nearly a month

If this is happening all the time to you and your bike isn't standing for days then it's time to change the oil and bleed the clutch system

Ken