Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:59 PM

Default stumped on this one need help

as the title says im stumped with this problem.

my 2001 gasgas ec200 has been playing up. first ride on the bike was October long weekend and i had a few problem over the 3 days of riding. carby problems mainly. then the coil shit itself on the last day of riding.

i ordered a replacement one from Europe. non genuine but ment to be same specs as original. went for a ride on Sunday and the bike has been lacking top end. it was very noticeable felt very sluggiush and tame. after a fast flat out run and stopping back at the car i noticed that is was very hot as i looked down the silencer and it was glowing red and a funny smell of burning oil (which made me think it done the crank seals) but now in thinking it just got very hot and was burning the built up oil in the exhaust.

got it home to possibly thinking that the powervalve was seized shut as it haddent been ridden in about 4 months. but that all seems good. then i went to the coil as it was the only thing that i changed from when it was running right.

i connected up a timing light and check the timing, looks like its retarding the timing about 10-15deg from idle. question is what could be making it do this. it was all hooked back up properly so no polarity is around the other way.

any help on this issue would be great as im stumped

thanks
Luke

Old 12-24-2014, 12:53 AM

I don't know if this helps you but I've bought 2 new non original coils that where advertised to fit my bike (2002 ec200) and I couldn't get mine to run properly.
Both of them are now in a draw while I've put the old original one back on and bike runs fine now!

Just wondering if these are cheap chinese crap copy's that just aren't up to the job?
So frustrating for me as I've put on a new cdi, 125w stator and wiring harness but have to use old coil

Ken
Old 12-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Borrow a coil from a friends bike and see if there is a change.
I run the coil from my 94 YZ 250 on my 03 300 without issue.
Check your reeds and boot for cracking. Sounds to me that you are leaned out.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:29 PM

Same problem in the past, ended up going back to original also after changing stator and cdi. . probably worth trying another coil first. Though I would be a bit concerned about the glowing spanny.... Retarded timing pushes more heart into the exhaust but that's insane! Lean jetting also?
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I'd pull the muffler apart for a repack but they are pretty thin perforated core and can break and collapse which may have happened. I welded in new core from a local muffler manufacturer.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)