Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM

Default First Post

Hi GasGas riders!

I have been stopping by here for a while and decided to jump in with a few questions for you guys,.
I think my next bike will be EC300 and I cant stop thinking about it, I have been wondering about the differences between the standard enduro and the racing models - the standard enduro model has the flywheel weights right ? and the racing model has the Ohlins suspension. What is the main diffference between the Ohlins and the Marzocchis , and the Ohlins shock and the Sachs shocks? What is it that makes them Ohlins "better" ?. My riding areas are a mixture of very rocky single track with loose rocks and fixed rocks big and small , also very much loose stones and sand. I would ideally like to have an EC300 with the flywheel weights, tuned for torque, with the best suspension for the rocks and sand. What would you guys recommend ?
Cheers
Jerry

Last edited by JdB; 05-13-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 AM

OK too many noob questions, how about these instead:

Anyone know anything about the new Sachs forks? I have tried to find info on the net but cant find anything at all.. If anyone knows it must be GasGas riders right? Cant wait to read some test articles on the new Sachs front end.

The standard 45 mm marzocchis , on the Husky at least, are harsh (from experience) and need revalving - BUT , I dont want to have to spend the money it costs to rework forks - on a new bike ! Are the stock GasGas 45mm Marzocchis better in some way?

Thanks in advance
J

Last edited by JdB; 05-13-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Welcome to the site!

You will find that many folks like the 45mm Marzocchi's and for most are a better choice than the Ohlins forks. This is because they work well and cost less and are easier to work on.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff View Post
Welcome to the site!

You will find that many folks like the 45mm Marzocchi's and for most are a better choice than the Ohlins forks. This is because they work well and cost less and are easier to work on.
Hey thanks Eff Yeah I was thinking the same, if the stock 45mm GasGas version Marzocchis are better than the stock Husky ones. The Sachs 48´s are also intriguing!

Cheers
J
Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

While both GG and Husky use the 45mm Marzocchi fork, they are valved differently internally per each companies spec. Like eff mentioned, most folks are happy with the stock valving. I would try this with some clicker adjustments before spending money on a revalve.

The EC250/300 comes with the heavier kokusan 2K-3 ignition. This is good for higher lighting output and nasty trail conditions. The US-spec bikes may be coming with the DE configuration (using the lighter 2K-2 ignition). You may want to ask your dealer when you purchase a bike. In any case, the two ignitions are easy to swap out and there are pros/cons for both. With the 2K-3, you will never need more flywheel weight, whereas on the 2K-2 some like to run a 10oz or 12oz. flywheel weight.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks Matt, good info about the ignition types/flywheel weights. I must admit I seem to be on a mission at the moment, never had a 2 stroke enduro and have a lot to learn. Sounds like the EC300 might give the best of both 4 stroke and 2 stroke worlds with its torque and light weight, and most things I hear about the handling is good. Seems like my ideal bike. I would really like the option of a bigger tank though.

Cheers
J
Old 05-14-2008, 07:38 AM

I've ridden on both the 'zokes and Ohlins forks. I have the Ohlins on my EC200 and I've been on a few DE300's with the 'zokes... In my opinion, they are equal. What tips preference to the Marzocchis is the maintenance. I will not work on the Ohlins myself. They get sent to Les.

Haven't had the privilege to ride on the Sachs yet, front or rear.

Quote:
Sounds like the EC300 might give the best of both 4 stroke and 2 stroke worlds with its torque and light weight, and most things I hear about the handling is good.
BINGO!

Bigger tanks are available.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
What tips preference to the Marzocchis is the maintenance.
Bigger tanks are available.
Hi Barkeater (nice avatar pic ) Who does the bigger tanks ? I hought I read that IMS and Clarke dont do them - maybe I was wrong?

cheers
J
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Last I heard, Clarke was still making them...

They list 2 stroke tanks for Gas Gas up to 2006. I haven't been able to get my mitts on a '07 or '08 bike, so I don't know if the Clarke fits a Gasser newer than '06 or not, BUT, I'm sure there is someone on this site who does.

(thanks, I was hoping someone would catch the new avatar.)
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
Last I heard, Clarke was still making them...

They list 2 stroke tanks for Gas Gas up to 2006. I haven't been able to get my mitts on a '07 or '08 bike, so I don't know if the Clarke fits a Gasser newer than '06 or not, BUT, I'm sure there is someone on this site who does.

(thanks, I was hoping someone would catch the new avatar.)
Hi Barkeater, I sent an email to Clarke this morning, and got a reply after just a few minutes unfortunately the answer was negative for 2007 and up 2 strokes..

Jerry

The tank will not fit the 2007 -2008 models

The subframe etc are different. It has been tried

Thanks
Chris
Clarke Mfg Co.
------------
Hi Chris
Thanks for your quick answer ! Are there any plans to manufacture for 2007 and up gasgas 2 strokes?
------------
Jerry

At this time I do not think so

Chris
------------